Is it good for Apple M1

good morning. I’m buying the M1 Mac Mini and I would like to buy all Devon softwares. Is DevonSphere running on Apple Silicon M1?

DEVONsphere Express will run on an M1 Mac, but you will need to insall Rosetta to run it. This is a simple matter of okaying the installation. Afterwards, you can run DEVONagent.

You will want to allow Full Disk Access, Accessibility, and any Automation requests for DEVONsphere in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy.

Note: There may be a bug that asks DEVONsphere to allow Automation of the Finder. The dialog that appears is self-dismissing too (surely an Apple bug in Big Sur). If you’re quick enough to click the Ok button, the setting will be accepted.

Note: There may be a bug that asks DEVONsphere to allow Automation of the Finder. The dialog that appears is self-dismissing too (surely an Apple bug in Big Sur). If you’re quick enough to click the Ok button, the setting will be accepted.

This bug is really annoying, btw. In fact I have to frequently quit using the app as it pops up during screen shares or screen recording sessions. This bug isn’t just for Finder, the bug is that “See Also” will trigger this for any and every foreground app that it tries to access information for to generate the “See Also” results. In my case it will ever be possible to click the allow button as my monitor is too large and it is physically not possible to move a mouse from DEVONsphere to the dialog button before it auto-dismisses.

As OK is active in that window, I could press RETURN key to solve that.

Please clarify what the emboldened section means.

@BLUEFROG anytime you do a “See Also” with any app it prompts you to approve “access to control insert app”. If you have it set to Update See Also automatically and switch apps it will prompt on every app switch.
Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 2.15.16 PM

I unchecked “Update See Also automatically” and it makes it less annoying, however if you have the window “open” to do a search and manually refresh the See Also search with an app you haven’t approved it will prompt you for it over and over until you approve.

1 Like

This is really really annoying. The first time you open an app since DEVONSphere started, up come the popup for giving DEVEONSphere automation permissions for that particular app.

You can just hit return, if you are quick. But for most apps, you don’t want to give DS automation permissions and you need to click on the Don’t Allow button. Very hard.

And if you miss it you get three goes before the popup goes quiet.

And assuming you miss all 3 times, the next time the app is opened you need to go through the same rigmarole again.

In the end every app on your computer get added to the Automation permission for DEVONsphere - a few enabled, and the rest disabled.

This really is a serious problem for DEVONsphere. If I was new to it or didn’t understand what is going on, I would soon give up.

I suggest that you should consider DEVONsphere unusable (certainly unsaleable) on macOS 11.x

That does not qualify DEVONsphere as unusable (or “unsaleable”). We have no control over those prompts. They are generated by macOS. Nor do we control how the prompt is self-dismissing. When the alert appears, you should be able to quickly press Return to accept it. Then you can disable them in the Automation preferences afterwards.

Development would have to assess if there’s any approach we could take to possibly limit this but I can’t speak for them. Perhaps we could have people specify what applications to use it in.

Suggestion: DEVONsphere could get the user to specify (in its preferences) which apps should interact with DS and so require the automation permission. And DS should not try to automate with any other apps.

That’s what I suggested may be possible :wink:

The next release will improve this.