Is it possible to email a file to my DevonThink database?

I use both EverNote and DevonThink. When I’m reading something on my iPad that I want to keep, I’m able to send the clip to my EverNote database. Is it possible to do this with DevonThink?

Thanking you in advance,

Sandra Gulland

Hi Sandra, I don’t think it is as easy as with Evernote.

Maybe this thread will be helpful: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11359

Thank you, but I think I figured out an easier work-around. I set up a blog on Posterous.com, and set DevonThinkPro to “import site.” I can email directly to the Posterous blog, which – in theory – should download into DTP. We shall see.

In the meantime, I think emailing material would be an important feature for DTP to try to offer.

You could set up a rule in Apple Mail and use Extras > Scripts > Mail > Mail Rule Action Import.app (see disk image) to import the messages matching the rule. E.g. you might use a dedicated prefix in the subject like DEVONTHINK:…

I can’t figure out how to do this. Apple Mail > Preferences > Rules > ??? I don’t see Extras anywhere. I gather the Extras is in DTP? But where?

Hi
download the Devonthink disk image and mount it as if you were installing from scratch. On the disk image you will find an extra folder with the script that was mentioned.

Okay, I found the script and I’ve got it in DTP, but how does it work, exactly?

What sort of Mail Rule should I set up?

Do I send these emails to myself, with DTP in the subject line, and then DTP picks them up automatically?

Or do I send these mails to a special DTP folder, which DTP picks up?

From the DEVONthink documentation:

MAIL
The Mail Rule Action Import script imports all the emails that the mail rule acts on
to the currently open database.
To use this script, do the following:
• Open the ‘Scripts/Mail’ folder on the DEVONthink Pro Office disk image.
• Put the script anywhere on your hard disk.
• Create a new rule in the preferences window of Apple Mail.
• Define your criteria.
• Add the Execute Script action.
• Select the ‘Mail Rule Action Import’ script.

The way I use it is that MobileMe allows me to setup aliases for email addresses, so I have one that is:

myMobileMeUserName+devonthink AT me.com

I have the unique email address as one of the addresses in my Address Book card. The Mail rule is set up so that incoming mail to myMobileMeUserName+devonthink AT me.com triggers the script, and the message is added to my Global Inbox.

I can’t seem to get the script to work—that is, to forward the email to DT. Sigh.

Thank you, I finally got it working!