Is there a way to tag a donwload when adding it to the Inbox?

It would be handy to be able to tag a pdf or other document in the moment it is downloaded to the Inbox. That means tagging it in the Finder, I guess, since that’s the app that runs when doing this. Does anyone know if this is possible? Or if people have been doing so for years and I just missed the memo?

David

A smart rule might do that.

Tagging in the Finder isn’t required, and indeed this has been possible for 3.5 years.
As @chrillek mentioned, this can be accomplished with a smart rule.

The only “difficulty” could be in determining what tag to apply but you haven’t provided any information on that.

Thanks. The problem with a smart rule is, I think, that it would apply to same tag to any file to which it was applied. What I want to do is choose or create a tag when the material goes into DT. I want the option to choose any tag.

If you mean: a smart rule would add the same tag to all files it’s applied to – not necessarily. You could add a script to the rule that determines the tag(s) depending on content, date, filename, whatever.

1 Like

Then yes, you can tag in the Finder before importing the file(s).

Actually, I think the simplest way around is a Rule that says once a file has been added, Open it in DT. Then I can tag it right away. Hoping something like this would do it:

David

1 Like

Oops. Rule has to be ANY of the following, not ALL.

Doesn’t really matter without any condition. The all and any are not related to the trigger.

You should not have a smart rule with no criteria.
Add Kind is Any Document.

OK, thanks. Maybe simplest to tag in finder, as you suggested.