Is there an iOS markdown editor that works with DTTG?

Thank you for the pointer, @Miwagner1 . Just downloaded it, pretty impressive indeed.

Panda Bear

Indeed this looks super interesting. Thank you for the information.

But according to “the two companies come together”: With Panda there wouldn’t even be a need to “come together” as Panda works with files openly available in the iOS files system. And on cloud drives too—and of course files in a file providing app like DTTG.

But as I understand the developers this only goes for the beta phase of the editor part of Bear. There is no hint that Bear itself won’t be keeping its notes locked in its own database like the present version once the Panda editing engine is integrated in it.

You got that correctly. Panda is just an alpha/beta version of Bear’s editor. Once it’s finalised, it is going to get integrated into Bear and I doubt it will remain available as a stand-alone app any longer. There have been no hints from the Bear development team that this would be the case.

I also wish Bear would support external folders, much like Ulysses, which would then perhaps enable its use as an external editor (regardless of the fact that it stores its notes in the database, just like Ulysses again), but again, there have been no hints from the development team that they are willing to support that or that this is being worked on.

The development of Bear is going pretty slowly (Panda has been mentioned as being worked on 2+ years ago, it should have been released by the end of 2019 (!) and it’s only just now in public beta) so as much as I like and use Bear for some of the notes, I don’t think we’ll be able to use it as an editor alongside DT anytime soon.

So, this is my current :blue_heart: DTTG markdown dream…:blue_heart:

3 Likes

I just found an amazing open source MIT license project………

• Markdown-first. Also supports any plaintext and RTF files.

• Syntax highlighting within code blocks. Supports over 170 programming languages.

• In-line image support.

• TextBundle and EncryptedTextBundle containers.

Please implement this holy grail into devonthink!!!

That’s a full blown app, not just an editor framework :thinking:

indeed but with a scalpel and some care, saves a lot of work does it not? The FSNotesCore looks to be nicely separated

That’s out of my wheelhouse. @eboehnisch would have to weigh in on this.

if you just want a nice little framework that might be ideal

Thank you very much, @Miwagner1. Boomarked both of them to have them ready when we begin working on the new text editor.

6 Likes

There is a quicklook extension that works with textbundle.

Panda (standalone) on mac is able to open, edit, save .textbundle files saved in DT, and the quicklook works there too.

About the incompatibility between iA Writer and DEVONthink to go (external folders in iA Writer), iA Writer’s team says it is due to DEVONthink, and DEVONthink says it is iA Writer. The last email from the iA Writer’s team says:

You can access files from DEVONthink To Go using the Open panel (available in Quick Search, via ⌘O, or as the Open… action in Library).

Blockquote uses iOS document browser to present files from DEVONthink to go, and iA Writer’s Open panel is the same exact system document browser.

Files app and the system document browser talk to file providers like DEVONThink to present a virtual file hierarchy. This allows apps to access individual files, and iA Writer fully supports this.

iA Writer’s custom Library Locations access the file system directly to enable features like full text search, hashtags, smart folders, and more. Full file system access must be supported by the file provider. Unfrotunately, DEVONthink doesn’t support it yet.

I am not here to criticize, I really love both apps (I love you, DT team <3) but I would like them to discuss, to offer us a great compatibility. I think I am not the only one here. I still don’t understand where the problem comes from.

Sorry to say that the integrated editor in DEVONthink (even if very good) will never replace the iA Writer editor because using iA Writer is sooooo relaxing (and thanks to the DT team to be compatible with the iA Writer syntax).

Where’s the incompatibility?

As iaWriter’s folks noted…

You can access files from DEVONthink To Go using the Open panel (available in Quick Search, via ⌘O, or as the Open… action in Library).

I meant that it is not currently possible to add a DEVONthink folder as a location in iA Writer. Opening a file individually works pretty well, but it prevents from displaying images or other local linked files in the same DT folder for instance. (I know that what I call folder is not a real folder but a virtual one.)

If I have to guess it is related to:

1 Like

I don’t think that there is such a thing as a DT folder. There are databases and groups, but the latter are not “folders” in the file system. Not even the former are.

2 Likes

Yes but the main problem is that a Markdown file often comes with other files (such as images). They are not standalone files and that’s why some of us are looking for a good workflow to use them externally with associated files.

And yes groups are not folders, and DT is not a file management system but a database. :blush:

In fact z4ck said all I tried to express. But now I know you are working on it. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I will stop bothering you about it.

How do you add an image in iAWriter on iOS?

Edit found it. The result is a markup that’s not compatible with standard markdown, and of course the image is not visible in other MD editors. As is to be expected: iOS does not really expose a filesystem. So if I drag an image from, say, Photos into an MD file, iAWriter does Something™ which no other MD editor can reproduce. So what exactly do you expect from DT in this context?

1 Like

The standard Markdown markup is also compatible with iA Writer (I personally use the standard one to make my files more compatible). I would like DEVONthink to accept full folder access, to be able to integrate a DT database to standard apps libraries. I understand that it can be a huge work and thanks to z4ck I know the team is already working on it.

It is just very frustrating not to be able to fully use my two favorite apps together with 100% compatibility but this partial compatibility is already a very good news.

I fact I would like to stop using iCloud or other clouds for personal files. I use DTTG to store and classify my files on my iPad (and DT on my Mac of course).