Is there an iOS markdown editor that works with DTTG?

Support for CriticMarkup may be coming.
Checkboxes I can’t say as we use MultiMarkdown v6 which doesn’t support checkbox syntax.
However, the requests are noted.

2 Likes

I believe the filter by Open in… should get you what you want.

That said, I love iA Writer and it works with DTTG just fine.

1 Like

But when? I have looked back on the various messages and it is always seems to be “just around the corner”.

Hi!

This is a response to a very old topic! I saw that you described how to use DTTG with iaWriter in iOS. I saw you described the steps but I cant see them in iaWriter. Is this still working? If so, could you describe how to use DTTG with iaWriter at the moment? I cant add DTTG as a location in iaWriter. I also cant open a document in such way that amendments will be saved in DTTG.

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Try the Open option in iaWriter’s Library.

It’s insane how responsive you are! Thank you very much! Very helpful in figuring out how to maximize the potential of DT!

1 Like

It’s the byproduct of a very poor work/life balance :flushed::roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue:

You’re welcome.

4 Likes

Hi Joris,

there is a problem which affects nearly all apps which got a “file integration”: They dont support apples latest API update and could not handle folder (I think creating is the main thing here) as Apple want them to. This is the reason the most apps will be greyed in iA Writer as the main source.

Sure you can load single files from DTTG but it could not be the main source.

I only know three apps which are capable of handling folders correctly and could be used as the main source in iAWriter and several other apps:

1. iCloud Drive (what a surprse)
  2. Working Copy
  3. Secure ShellFish

Unless Apple changes this requirements or the other apps changes their way to handle folder there is a big usability gap in iOS/iPadOS.

Best

1 Like

Just to chip in a bit. Folders in “On My iPhone/iPad” are also available for access in other apps. I’m mentioning this because a lot of apps, say Textastic, GoodReader, have their files stored in a folder there instead of a separate location on the sidebar.

It doesn’t work so fine when there are links to local files (images…) that can not be displayed with Open with… I am currently testing how I can integrate DTTG to my workflow but without a 10m% compatibility with iA Writer it will be hard.

Does anyone have a trick to be able to open iA Writer files with all the features?
Thank you!

This. It’s a huge PITA.

In terms markdown files editing experience, comparing DTTG3 vs DTTG2, I don’t notice improvement. Wondering if I missed any new features?

DTTG/BlockQuote Integration

I am glad to let you know that I just tried editing markdown files saved in a DTTG database in Blockquote for iOS. The edits I made in Blockquote did sync back to DTTG and vice versa.

You can access the DTTG markdown files in Blockquote via DTTG’s share sheet, or you can add DTTG as a location in Blockquote and then browse, search for, create, edit, and save said files directly from within Blockquote. Changes will sync seamlessly either way.

I love Blockquote because it is lightweight and cheap. It does allow me to alternate between edit, preview, and split views. I have attached screenshots below.

Just for the record I am not affiliated with the app.

@Patnucci, what am I missing, why don’t you edit your markdown in dttg? Is it a formatting thing?

I feel more comfortable around Blockquote as it has more markdown editing and preview capabilities than DTTG does at the moment. The two major ones are split screen mode and more than a dozen preview themes.

1 Like

Thanks, I understand.

1 Like

I’m using iA Writer to edit and it works.

Yes, you can open and edit dttg files in iA Writer, but the option to add dttg as a location is grayed out in iA Writer, which is weird because I can easily add Blockquote as a location.

You’re right. Didn’t notice that before but always open files from DTTG so not really a problem for me.

I find that iA Writer iOS doesn’t seem to play nicely with images if you have them indexed in a Finder folder — the desktop top app will find them (once you’re added the media folder to their library) but you can’t do this in iA Writer iOS. The links aren’t removed in the base markdown file, but the images aren’t displayed — even when the correct folder is synced to the Files app.

So: images are displayed in DT3, iA Writer Mac and in DTTG, but not in iA Writer.

At least, I haven’t been able to find a way round this — it may be because my indexed media folder is in Dropbox. I’ll have to try it with iCloud Drive to see if that makes a difference.