Items disappeared from Inbox after creating an ecrypted database

I’m thinking at this point it may just be better to restore from my off-site backup. I’ll have a little work to re-do since it was the end of August, but these backups are always done while no software is open/running. What exactly do I need to restore? I know there are related files in at least two different locations. I’m assuming the Inbox database, along with the main database file. Any other supporting files I need to worry about?

These two databases should be sufficient. And please disable the synchronization while you’re restoring things.

Thank you for the response. I’m just getting back to this tonight. I’ll admit that I’m not a hardcore Apple user and my background is almost exclusively with PC’s. Having said this, is it safe to assume that by disable the synchronization, you mean turn off “Back Up Automatically”?

Synchronisation is in no way a “backup”. Do not ever think of it as a “backup”. Unfortunately, many seem to and that is a pity.

cgrunenberg means what he said. Turn off DEVONthink synchronisation in the DEVONthink menu: Preferences, pick “Sync” tab, uncheck all the sync locations “on left side”. For more details, see the DEVONthink Manual (or Help).

That’s correct. Nonetheless I use a local sync store just for this purpose to have another (!) recent backup as I don’t want to depend on Time Machine. I’ve seen probably way too many tickets of people reporting issues after restoring Time Machine backups. This local sync store is of course neither used for synchronizing nor is it the only backup.

funny enough. I agree. I don’t depend on TimeMachine for backups (although I run it and when I want to restore a file, it’s always there. I follow the strategy of multiple backup methods and storage locations (on and off site). And if a sync location data base were to get me out of a jam I’d do it!

But those who do not adequately backup out of whatever reason (usually naivety or self-described “I’m not a techy and don’t understand” I think) to think of a sync database as a “backup”–a pity.

Thanks, that makes sense. I do not have sync enabled for any locations so I should be fine.

Once I connected my offsite backup drive, I was able to select from more restore dates. I did a restore from the day before I had problems with creating the encrypted database. I now show the 587 items back in my global inbox. There are also all of the items in the trash. I’ve just never emptied it, so these are all truly items I previously deleted. Back to business I guess.

You mentioned something about a future version better handling an encrypted database once capacity is reached. Any idea what the time frame for this is?

Thanks for all the assistance with this!

That’s already the case since version 3.6.

Okay, thanks. I did just install the update to 3.6.1 tonight.