Keyboard shortcut for search?

Is there a keyboard shortcut to go to the search bar? I see the control-U shortcut for opening the search pane of the inspector, but I can’t find a keyboard shortcut for searching through the current database/group.

Cmd-Option-F.

Follow-up question: is there a keyboard shortcut for dismissing a search in the search bar?
Thanks. :thinking:

Command-Option-F to focus the search field, then Escape to clear it.

So obvious! Many thanks for the quick response. :blush:

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

Hi all,
is there a way to change the keybord shortcut from to anything other?
If yes - how?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Thomas

See this and note the form for the Data hotkey.

Bear in mind, changing hotkeys is not always advisable as they can clash with other applications’ hotkeys. If you’re going to do it, you should think carefully about it in light of other hotkeys that may be operational.

Hi Bluefrog,
thanks a lot for your answer. I was wondering if there is a way to “reset” to to DT2 behaviour? (I think it was shift-cmd-f) - wasn’t it? (That would work for me as that combination was used by DT2 and is free. :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot in advance,
Thomas

You’re welcome.
No, you can’t reset to DEVONthink 2 behavior, but you could assign a hotkey in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts > DEVONthink 3.

PS: That’s a true ellipsis, Option-semicolon, not three periods.

Sorry - how do I get it into? (My view is empty and if I click on the “+” it asks me for the exact menu command. Thanks a lot in advance,
Thomas

(OSX-10.15.1-Catalina)

Yes, you need to type in the exact menu command. That’s why I mentioned the true ellipsis. and it needs to be designated for DEVONthink 3, not All Applications.

Hi Bluefrog, do you happen to know the exact command? Or how do I find it out?
Thanks a lot in advance,
Thomas

Is there a shortcut for using a selection as the input to a search?

I see that there is a shortcut for “Use selection for find” = Command-E.
Also I see that if I select text and right-click there is a menu option called “Search >>selectedText<<”

The service DEVONthink 3: Lookup… (see System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services) is available in all apps and does exactly this.

Mind blown! Thanks a mil - this changes everything!