Konfabulator widgets?

Just downloaded the final 1.0 v of DT Pro, and like the widgets that come with it, especially the one for adding quick notes and posting them to the database. However, as I prefer Konfabulator to Dashboard, I’m wondering if someone is working on – or could write – a similar widget for Konfabulator. Anyone game?

I can’t help you with the Wdgets but I hope someone else can. Even with some of its current hangups on some systems, I still much prefer Konfabulator to Dashboard. Widgeteers,please take note!

I can’t help you with the Wdgets but I hope someone else can. Even with some of its current hangups on some systems, I still much prefer Konfabulator to Dashboard. Widgeteers,please take note!

Having never used Konfabulator myself, could you tell me why you prefer it to Dashboard? How is it superior?

Thanks,
ChemBob

Sure, ChemBob. I like Konfabulator because it’s easier to tweak individual widgets so they’re onscreen all the time (rather than have to call Dashboard up), and also to set their prefs so they are rearmost, ‘normal’, or topmost of the screen layers. SO my weather, e.g., is normal, and on top only when I burrow down to it, whle my CPU and memory monitor widgets are topmost and visible all the time. Amnesty for Dashboard provides some of those functions, but of course I’d have to pay for it, and even so it seems more cumbersomie and less easily flexible than Konfabulator.

Another possible plus – we’ll see – is that Konfabulator, having been bought by Yahoo, now runs on Windows machines too, so Windows geeks may be creating widget for it, making (possibly) a bigger supply.

Exactly–the ability to choose and control very easily. I can choose, for instance, to have a small analog clock always visible in the top-left corner so I can see the time without looking at it, to have Picture Frames displaying in miniature my curent favorite photos, to have a mini-weather where I can pop it up but not be bothered with it–or if I want to make them all visible and choose from a lot of others. I can use it to connect to a number of web-apps like Flikr or sites like Bloglines. At one point Konfabulator demanded a lot more CPU-share than it does now (depends on what you display, of course) but it has always been very easy to use. And it has some interesting little games to get one’s mind free of one project before concentrating on the next–or for the person who insists on looking over your shoulder, Mr. Quackers. I have never regretted buying Konfabulator; now that it’s free, everyone has a good excuse to try it.