"Launch URL" disabled for tags+groups in DT 3.0

Hi,

I annotate a lot of my items (documents etc) in DT with an URL (in the usual URL metadata field), and use “Launch URL” (from the toolbar or right-click menu) to launch the associated web site. Works fine in DT 2.0 and DT 3.0.

EXCEPT, Some of my items that have URLs are groups and tags. In DT 2.0, these worked fine; I could right-click on the group or tag, and launch the URL. BUT, in DT 3.0, the “Launch URL” button is greyed out and the right-click menu omits the option to launch the URL for groups+tags. Even though I CAN still annotate a groups or tag with an URL.

Is this by design, or a bug? Or am I missing something obvious? If its by design, I’m curious why this behavior was changed from DT 2.0, since it does impact my workflows and filing model I use in DT.

–Tim

Launching the URL is possible when interacting with the item in the item list.
Development will have to assess adding this to the Navigate sidebar.

Ahhh! Thank you, you are correct. I’d not figured that the options would be different depending on the view/pane. I can work-around for now, thanks! But yes, it would be nice for development to think about maybe adding this, as its a little odd that you can do different things to the same item in different locations.

Thanks again!

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I would find this helpful, too! Maybe as a hidden preference.

My use case:

CS_2023-02-27 at 09.56.37@2x

I have an RSS feed group for YouTube subscriptions. I’d use the ‘Launch URL’ hotkey ⌘⌃+U to go to my subscriptions page. :`)

Works actually fine over here, tried feeds, groups & tags. Which view do you use and what’s the URL?

Hmm.

View:
CS_2023-02-27 at 10.12.12@2x

URL:
CS_2023-02-27 at 10.09.58@2x

In context, the group is top-level under a database with one-level of sub-groups:

CS_2023-02-27 at 10.09.42@2x

The result is:

CS_2023-02-27 at 10.10.23@2x

This should be possible after selecting the group in the list view, not in the sidebar.

Ah, yes. I see that. The way my groups are organised, I view the subscriptions inside the group. If I want to launch the URL, I’ll have to select the database group and the folder from the item list. :+1: Thanks for helping me learn this.

1 Like