Link Contaxt in 3-Pane Mode

I’m using DTPro in 3-pane display mode. If I put a link in an RTF text document, when I click on it the linked-to document is correctly opened in pane 3. However panes 1 and 2 still show the group context of the linking document. Is there a way to get these to update to show the context of the linked to document? Either automatically or as a keystroke would be fine.

eg:
I have a group ‘Authors’ with a subgroup ‘John Smith’. In there, I have a document called ‘JS Books’.
Another group is ‘Books’ with a subgroup ‘Zombie Fiction’. In there I have a document ‘Brains! by John Smith’
I put a link in ‘JS Books’ to ‘Brains! by John Smith’. When I click on the link, pane 3 updates correctly to show the target document. However panes 1 and 2 are still on the ‘John Smith’ group; I’d like to be easily able to switch these to ‘Zombie Fiction’

Hope that makes sense…

You could try to append &reveal=1 to the link’s URL and check whether that’s what you’re looking for.

I can’t seem to get that to work.

If the original link is
x-devonthink-item://28FF2D10-CFF7-4A62-9BAA-FB221AB0F6FF
that works fine. But if I edit it to become
x-devonthink-item://28FF2D10-CFF7-4A62-9BAA-FB221AB0F6FF&reveal=1
then when I click on it I just get a little click sound and it does nothing. I’ve tried a few other syntax variations with quotes etc but no luck.

I’m on DT 2.9.17

I’m sorry, my fault. If the link doesn’t have any parameters yet, then you have to append ?reveal=1

Yes, using “?” (which I should have realised!) gets the link working but doesn’t seem to change its behaviour.

It would be a ‘nice to have for’ me, it’s not a showstopper.

Could you post screenshots of DEVONthink before/after clicking the link? Ideally without a selection before clicking on it. Thanks!

I made a new dummy database to keep things clean. Two groups, one file in each group. The file in First Group links to the file in Second Group.

Before clicking the link:

After clicking the link, the document pane switches correctly but the other two panes still show First Group as the context even though the breadcrumb trail at the top is correct:

I’m on DT 2.9.17
dt3.png

In case it’s relevant, I’m using an ancient Mac with OSX 10.11.6

Thanks for the screenshots and the details! I was able to reproduce the issue, the “reveal” parameter is currently only supported by links from external apps. The next maintenance release will support this internally too.

Good to know, thanks for taking the time to look into it.

Just confirming that reveal=1 on internal links is now working fine for me with 2.10. Thanks for fixing it.