Link Preview and Rich Text highlighting in Sheets

Hi,

Looking at upgrading DT3 to DT3P thanks to some comments on other threads and some self-reflection.
I’m just wondering about the following things (form a list of things I’ve been thinking about re: DT3).
I don’t believe they’ve been addressed in other threads. Sorry if they should be two separate threads though.

1. Previewing a linked document in an inspector panel, a la Scrivener.
  • this is one feature I love about Scrivener, but I find it absent from DT. I know opening links in Tabs is possible, but having to keep switching back and forth between the documents sometimes inhibits the writing process.
    Is this a future possibility, or is it currently unavailable and I am just completely overlooking where it is?
    Can the editor be split and display two documents, like when splitting MD files with the MD and the WYSIWYG panels?
  1. Highlighting Rich Text in Sheets/TSV fields.
  • All the other font options are available, bold, italic etc. And changing the colour of possible - but only through fiddling with the fonts options. Is there a chance DT3 can include the highlight button for text in these fields?

Again, not sure if these have been addressed before - I did a quick search but no definitively similar threads came up in the results.

Looking forward to the replies,
J.

1. No, this is not possible.
  2. No this is not possible. However, there is the Script menu > Edit > Open in two windows script that opens two selected documents in side-by-side document windows.
  3. You already can highlight rih text fields in a sheet…
    Use the Format menu or the Shift-Command-L shortcut.

Oh, I didn’t think about checking the format menu from the top. That helps!

Shame about the lack of a viewing panel in inspector, though. The “documents in two windows” option will have to suffice. Lucky my monitors are pretty large!

Thank you!

You’re welcome.

Shame about the lack of a viewing panel in inspector, though.

The Annotations pane does something along those lines so it may be possible at some point, but Development would need to assess this.

so it may be possible at some point, but Development would need to assess this

yeah why not. It might convert a few Scrivener diehards over to the platform.

It might convert a few Scrivener diehards over to the platform.

So you’re saying you’d stop using Scrivener? :thinking:

Probably not. I like it for writing my outlines and finalising long form projects. I’m too accustomed to the interface to let it go. But using it as a research tool bugs me some times. That’s why I’m learning where and how to incorporate DT into my work.

I had another question regarding the annotations of editable documents.
When looking at the highlights in the inspector, if you click on a higlighted section (in the inspector) and choose delete - the text in the document is also deleted.
Is there an option to just “remove highlight” when right-clicking on these sections in the inspector?

When looking at the highlights in the inspector, if you click on a higlighted section (in the inspector) and choose delete - the text in the document is also deleted.
Is there an option to just “remove highlight” when right-clicking on these sections in the inspector?

What kind of document are you referring to?

And you can press Shift-Command-L to remove the highlight while preserving the text.

What kind of document are you referring to?

They were rich text and MD files. Possible an HTML file as well. Highlighted annotations didn’t show up in a couple of the other files types I was testing.
But the Shift-CMD-L key helps!

Actually, I just noticed a glitch, I think?
After using the Shift-CMD-L key to highlight rich text in TSV column, the text would remain after trying to delete it.
I noticed 2 things here (the first point when DT turns to night mode and the backgrounds turn black)

• When putting the cursor in another field/column, the whole row turns blue, because it is selected. All the text in the other columns will remain black, but any highlighted Rich Text would have a a different coloured background and the text would turn white, making reading it difficult). This happened in another RTF document if I recall correctly. But mostly the behaviour seems to happen in TSV docs,

• The Shift-CMD-L highlighted text doesn’t delete. I will put my cursor in the field, press delete and the text disappears. But as soon as I click in another field, the text returns. The text can be changed, but it cannot be deleted. No matter how many times I use Shift-CMD-L to try and remove the highlighting, it also remains.

Have you encountered this before?

Using DT on an M1 Mac as well, if this helps.

Edit: I had two Rich-Text fields that were exhibiting this behaviour. I tried turning them into Multi-Line Text fields to stop it. One worked, but the field that originally displayed this behaviour had this text in it:

cnRmZAAAAAADAAAAAgAAAAcAAABUWFQucnRmAQAAAC7IAQAAKwAAAAEAAADAAQAAe1xydGYxXGFuc2lcYW5zaWNwZzEyNTJcY29jb2FydGYyNjM5Clxjb2NvYXRleHRzY2FsaW5nMFxjb2NvYXBsYXRmb3JtMHtcZm9udHRibFxmMFxmbmlsXGZjaGFyc2V0MCBIZWx2ZXRpY2FOZXVlO30Ke1xjb2xvcnRibDtccmVkMjU1XGdyZWVuMjU1XGJsdWUyNTU7XHJlZDBcZ3JlZW4wXGJsdWUwO1xyZWQyNTVcZ3JlZW4yNTVcYmx1ZTExO30Ke1wqXGV4cGFuZGVkY29sb3J0Ymw7O1xjc3NyZ2JcYzBcYzBcYzBcYzg0NzA2XGNuYW1lIGNvbnRyb2xUZXh0Q29sb3I7XGNzZ2VuZXJpY3JnYlxjMTAwMDAwXGMxMDAwMDBcYzQxMzk7fQpccGFyZFx0eDU2MFx0eDExMjBcdHgxNjgwXHR4MjI0MFx0eDI4MDBcdHgzMzYwXHR4MzkyMFx0eDQ0ODBcdHg1MDQwXHR4NTYwMFx0eDYxNjBcdHg2NzIwXHBhcmRpcm5hdHVyYWxccGFydGlnaHRlbmZhY3RvcjAKClxmMFxmczIyIFxjZjIgXGNiMyB0ZXN0fQEAAAAjAAAAAQAAAAcAAABUWFQucnRmEAAAAJow52K2AQAAAAAAAAAAAAA=

This was of course deletable. Following that I changed the field back to a Rich Text to see if the behaviour would return, and it did. Highlighted text was undeletable.

Second Edit:
I have noticed that deleting text little by little works. Eg, selecting the field, then moving the cursor so the whole text is not selected (as it does when pointing to the field). Then, the text can be deleted little by little. Eg: if I delete a few characters of the word “Character”, I can click into another field and the text will be “Charact”. Then going back I can delete more > “Cha”, etc
BUT, the final character always reappears. So, there will always be a “C” in the field.

Yes, I can see the lack of contrast in a selected row…

It looks like the first instance of the shortcut for Highlight applies the highlight to the selection in the sheet. However, a second use of the shortcut while the cell is still active removes the highlight.

Yes, I see the behavior when changing Rich to Multi-line text.

Development will have to assess these issues.

Development will have to assess these issues.

Ok, thanks. It’s not of immediate concern for me to have this issue fixed as I can still use the TSV documents in other ways.
I’m just glad this time the issue isn’t due to my ignorance haha

You might also notice that the using the shortcut for highlight a second time does not remove the highlight, either.

Edit: I just noticed that the highlighting and deleting of highlighted text whilst in the “FORM” view of TSV sheets works fine/as expected. Completely different behaviour to that whilst in the regular view.

Additional information would be useful, I couldn’t reproduce this so far.

I cannot consistently reproduce this.