Linking documents to each other

A bit new to DT, but what is an efficient way to link documents to each other like to you would link people to each other in a CRM. Thanks Victor

Did you by any chance search for “linking” here in the forum or in the documentation delivered with DT? If so, what concrete questions do you have? If not, I suggest you do so, starting with the documentation.

2 Likes

Both, but non address the real issue I have. I am sorry you don’t get my question. I happen to use Daylite CRM from market circle and for each person in my database I have the option to link them to other persons in my database (and indicate why and how they are linked). So when I list the profile of a person I also get a list of persons they are linked to. Quite handy if you forget a name of a person but know that that person is linked to someone whose name you can remember. My question is if there is a similar functionality in DT.

Linking persons to other persons? Since there’s no record type “person”: not really. You can import data from the macOS address book as table, vCard or a link back to the original entry in the address book (as explained in the manual). It might be possible to link vCards to one another using custom meta data, but I’m not sure about that (nor about the possible use cases).

Or you could store a person in a markdown record and link those records to each other.

Otoh: do you want to replicate your CRM’s functions in DT? Then you’ll probably be disappointed.

1 Like

You could e.g. use a custom metadata field. This also allows creating different kinds of smart groups based on the data contained in this field, which can be handy. Links back to Daylite could also be added to custom metadata of a document stored in DT.

However, I think this might be a use case where it’s worth taking a look at Hook, which works great with DT and also has a Daylite CRM integration. Through Hook, it’s super quick to create bidirectional links between items within DevonThink, or between e.g. a DevonThink document and something stored in Daylite.

1 Like

Each person in my DT database is set up as a tag (example: ?name)
I can assign this tag to documents

For linking document <> document, I insert hyperlinks

1 Like

May I ask why you prefix the tag with ? ?

I know it’s not recommended; the tagname prefix is a carryover from way back
?Who !What @Where .When #TaskManagement
edit; I switched to an abcd prefix

1 Like

AW2307, great tip this Hook. Highly appreciated. Installed it and it works flawlessly within DT, and also with Daylite.

1 Like

Indeed! And I recall the days when prefixing, especially with @ was a way to differentiate a “tag” from regular text. Back before OpenMeta, which was essentially absorbed as Mavericks tags, the first implementation of Finder tags, and here we are years later :slight_smile:

2 Likes