OS 26.6 - DT 4.3.2
I plan to change my iMac for a new one and have the DT database moved on it.
On many many DT sheets I have internal links to files and/or folders.
Provided I keep the same file structure on the new iMac, I take it that links will still remain active.
Am I right ?
If not, is there any solution to get round of the problem ?
(There is a june 22 note on this topic, wonder whether it is still accurate for DT 4)
Thanks B4hand.
Are these links to externally indexed files?
If you’re referring to imported files, there is nothing to think about regarding item links. You aren’t moving the database’s filesystem. You are moving the database.
These are links created through the DT button which drive to files/folders elsewhere on the iMac.
For example, I have 10 docs, pdf .doc etc in a folder on the iMac, and I have a link to this folder on the DT sheet which summarize the folder.
Yes, indexed files are your responsibility to transfer to the same relative locations on the new machine.
-
If you are manually moving things, the account name doesn’t matter. For example, if you link to files on the desktop of an account called BigFish. You can put the files on the desktop of a machine with an account of LittleFish and they will be detected in DEVONthink.
-
If you use Apple’s Migration Assistant to set up the new machine from the backup of a previous account (which you should be diligently maintaining), the files will be put in the appropriate location automatically.