Links between items in DT databases and applications

Hi. I hope someone can help with this. I am not very IT literate and I’m relatively new to DT (loving it!). So this question may seem obvious to some - but not to me.

The problem is I’m used to being able to look into a folder in Mac’s Finder from the outside (as it were). But I can’t look into a DT database without opening it. So how do I create a link from another application to an item in a DT database?

For example, if I’m in iCal or Mail, I normally use the paperclip symbol or Add File to guide me to the file I want to attach - and then attach it! I can’t see how to do that with DT because the file I want to attach is in a database. I’d be very grateful for advice on this please. Please keep it step by step and assume I’m a novice.

Another similar example: I’m in an application, let’s say it’s my scanner application. I need to be able to send the output of this application to a folder. I would like that folder to be in DT and I can create that folder in DT. But, again, I can’t see it from the application. What should I do? Any help will be very much appreciated.

Simon

Select the item, choose Edit > Copy Item Link and then paste the link into any other application, e.g. a TextEdit document. Clicking the link should launch DEVONthink and open the linked item.

Thanks. That’s really helpful. So easy when you know how!

Can you or anyone else help with my second issue, which was:

‘I’m in an application, let’s say it’s my scanner application. I need to be able to send the output of this application to a folder. I would like that folder to be in DT and I can create that folder in DT. But, again, I can’t see it from the application. What should I do? Any help will be very much appreciated.’

?

Simon

Groups inside a database can’t be accessed from other applications, you have to send the output to a folder (e.g. in your Documents folder) in the filesystem or directly to DEVONthink (depending on the scanner software, the output can be send to applications).

Another option is to put the Global Inbox in the Finder’s sidebar and select this folder from your applications’ ‘Save As’ menu. You’ll still need to file them where you want them in DT, but this does eliminate the steps of saving to the Finder, importing into DT, and then deleting the original document in the Finder.