Links to Scrivener Documents don't work in DevonThink

I could not find any current info when I searched the DevonThink forum . In the Scrivener forum someone mentions it as a “problem” with no further details.
I was wondering if anyone else has this problem, if there is a solution and what the origin of the problem is.
thank you

I’m probably being a little bit dim here, but could you please elaborate on what you mean? What links, to which format, where?

1 Like

And in addition to @Blanc’s questions, why are you wanting this and what are you trying to achieve?

Scrivener’s role as a tool is for writing stuff. I would think that you’d only want to put the final document into your DEVONthink database(s).

1 Like

@Blanc @rmschne

what I do : Scrivener doc → copy link → paste into the DevonThink doc

why use both ? because I create drafts in Scrivener → copy paste to DevonThink when I am finished. Why I want to make modifications, I return to the draft in Scrivener because I much prefer the editor

thank you both for your posts

You are dealing with the internals of Scrivener. Go there if you wish, but you’ll have to explore the project package to find your files. And then hope you don’t corrupt them in some way making them unworkable in Scrivener.

The intended way of using Scrivener is that you would compile your Scrivener project (the whole thing or pieces of interest) to something, e.g. PDF, Word, RTF, or whatever. Put that compile somewhere outside your Scrivener Project and index or import into DEVONthink.

1 Like

OK thanks very much

What is the specific issue and what OS?

Except for Scrivener not coming to the front, I’m having no issue with a Scrivener document link on Catalina…

1 Like

Catalina
very interesting !!.
You have the answer. The links do work, but Scrivener is not automatically at the front, a behaviour I have never seen.
this answers my question.
thanks a million

You’re very welcome.

I have Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, and two Montery machines. :slight_smile:

should I upgrade to Montery ?

I don’t see a compelling reason to at this point, honestly.

1 Like

great information !! thanks very much. Rather incredible when you consider that Catalina is 2 generations old.

With Apple’s too-short of a development cycle, the operating systems are often just iterations. The move to Catalina was bigger with the deprecation of 32-bit apps. The move to Monterey is a bit bigger, especially with Apple Silicon Macs. But in general, I believe there are more cosmetics being changed than really substantial under-the-hood things, at least for daily use. Just IMHO.

Plus, I still like the older look of Catalina over the iOSification of macOS. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

the only issue is that more and more apps have features only accessible with Monterey including Numbers, Mind Mapping apps etc

Indeed your choice of apps can steer this decision. Definitely situational.

I’m writing a book on Scrivener. I don’t need the Compile function, so had no incentive to tackle the learning curve. Instead, I set up a Scrivener file template with formatting for headings, body, etc., so the chapters look good. Whenever I want a copy of one in my DT Database for research related to the book, I can export the file from Scrivener to DT as a pdf. With the file in DT, I can convert it to several different filetypes to edit or send it to someone to read, or use OCR to annotate, etc.

Works for me. Anybody have a better way to do it?
J

1 Like

You can set up font styles in DEVONthink as well, just as you can in TextEdit.
You can also merge the rich texts into a single document.

The heading and text are styles set in Format > Styles and these are two RTFs and the merged document…

PS: You can also set up these things in Markdown and use transclusions to merge the document.