Location Index

What happen when a certain location is not available for index at certain moment, and the indexing process starts? (e.g. network location). The location is deleted from index?

If that is the situation is terrible because you need to reindex. I think that a better behavior could be delete from index when you delete the location from the preference pane.

If a network location is unavailable at the time an indexing occurs, the location is not deleted. It is ignored from the indexing. If it is available on the next indexing, it should index as expected.

If you’re manually updating the index, then the index is completely rebuild and therefore not accessible locations are removed. Automatic updates should usually only update modified locations and therefore retain not accessible locations.

However, indexing unmountable volumes is not (yet) one of DEVONsphere Express’ usage scenarios.

I really appreciate your answers.

What happen when you establish the index update daily, as an example? The network location is deleted? I have a clear impression that this happen in my case. Maybe the issue could be fixed establishing automatic index updates only. Is it possible?

Hi cgrunenberg!

Thanks for your answer. I have a doubt. What do you mean when you say:

“However, indexing unmountable volumes is not (yet) one of DEVONsphere Express’ usage scenarios.”

What are the implications? Thanks for your help!

It might work if you’re only using automatic (e.g. daily) updating (see Preferences > General) but it’s not (yet) a recommended/tested usage scenario and therefore maybe unreliable.

What happen when you establish the index update daily, as an example? The network location is deleted? Only with automatic index updates I could prevent delete the index of temporary inaccessible locations?

It should work but I’d suggest to try it using the trial which is available from our Downloads page.

Just a note:

I connected to another Mac on my network and added its Downloads folder to my local index. Then I disconnected and manually updated the index. The Location remained in the Preferences but shows a plain page icon instead of a folder. Reconnecting to the other Mac resolves the icon but doesn’t automatically update the remote index.

Jim