Looking for an good Outliner Software

Hi,

Does Devontechnologies have an outliner software?

I am looking for software to help me organize my thoughts; to move lines around but not by cutting and pasting. I think Omni something has a product like this.

I am looking for an software that will help me organize my thoughts almost like a project manager but on a simpler level.

I currently use the Todoist, Evernote, iMindmap10 and DevonThinkPro Offic and I own but don’t really use iTaskX3.

The software I am looking for is to bring all the information together so I can organize it without having to cut and paste and where the information all integrates together.

I think the flow falls under an outliner type of software.

I would loved to be clearer if you have any questions.

Does DevonthinkTechnologies?

Can you recommend a product in this light I can investigate?

The very best,
-BrianP

We do not have an outliner. OmniOutliner is the most often mentioned application in this sphere.

2 Likes

As Jim says, Omnioutliner is a god place to start.

You might want to browse around outlinersoftware.com - it’s a message board about outliners.

For what you do, Curio by Zengobi might work well

The best place to geek out about outliners: outlinersoftware.com/

I happen to like Ginko a lot: gingko.io/

I use dynalist to organize ideas

Mindnode is what I use. Thinking about it, it is mainly the ability to fold sublists and drag elements around that distinguishes an outliner from any texteditor with bullet point lists. Feels strange to use a separate tool for just that :slight_smile:

I used OmniOutliner since its first incarnation; it was an eye-opener. But after a while, it became so cluttered that I ditched it. Additional columns of specified data types (like duration) are a great feature, making it a good planner.

For many years now, I have been doing my outlining in Markdown; indented lines serve like additional columns in OmniOutliner.

You may use any editor for outlining with Markdown.

I try to keep my work limited to a small number of apps, so I try to use Devonthink wherever possible – this is where my planning happens – or RStudio/VSCode, where I write my papers and lectures.

The best outlining app for Markdown, in my experience, is Obsidian with the Outliner plugin; it does everything you need. I loved working with it and am always tempted to implement Obsidian again because it is such a great editor – shortcuts, beauty. VSCode comes close with its plugins.

Sometimes, mostly after brainstorming and first sorting, one can mock a well-written OmniOutliner outline with a spreadsheet. This gives a helpful overview, calculation of duration, or money, or whatever, spent e.g… So outlining gets closer to a detailed plan.

Cheers,
Maria

1 Like

+1 for MindNode, @Wolkenhauer. It’s subscription, but comes with great iPhone/ipad versions too. It previews neatly in DT and DTTG, and I like to organise roadmaps of my DT database in it by linking to groups using DT URLs. Opening files on it from DT sometimes fails for me on iPadOS, which it shouldn’t do, but it’s my only complaint.

Since the original run of this thread, Bike has become the hot new player. But I’ve become completely addicted to Cloud Outliner for its amazing per-item syncing, which makes it my go-to everywhere app for thinking and drafting with instant handoff between devices. It’s also ridiculously cheap.