Mac OS Big Sur and Mail plugin

thanks @cgrunenberg

so for the time being: how is one supposed to proceed in order to get things going?

Removing this copy plus the installed plug-in in ~/Library/Mail/Bundles and then reinstalling it should be sufficient.

1 Like

This was indeed the solution in my case. :slight_smile:

why does this not work for me?

Did you check the permissions in the Finder?

Are you using a Standard or Admin macOS user account?

Could you guys @cgrunenberg & @BLUEFROG kindly provide an instruction of how to get the DEVONthink_BigSur.Mailbundle eventually working in macOS 11.3.1.

Yes, @BLUEFROG , I am using an Admin Account.

I looked into /Users//Library/Application Support/Mail/Plug-ins/Bundles/Users//Library/Mail/Bundles

and indeed found:

1 = Name of mailbundle
2 = Sharing & Permissions: “You have unknown access” :thinking:

What am I to do about this? @wernervp, @BLUEFROG, @cgrunenberg

I deleted this folder. You wil probably be asked for your password. After this try reinstalling the plugin, it worked for me.

1 Like

as I tried to illustrate with the image above: “You have unknown access” = I CAN’T DELETE IT @wernervp

You could try to do this from the Terminal. (Please be aware using ‘rm’, especially as root. Only use it when you know what you are doing.

• Open the terminal, you can find this in: Applications → Utilities
  • sudo rm -rf /Users//Library/Application Support/Mail/Plug-ins/Bundles/Users//Library/Mail/Bundles/DEVONthink_BigSur.mailbundle

I would suggest you are more cautious in suggesting a course of action like this. rm in UNIX is not to be trifled with and one misstep could be disastrous.

Users//Library… ?
This isn’t a valid filesystem path. :thinking:

Also, the unknown access would be an Apple issue, not something caused by DEVONthink.

The correct path contains the user name between the // (so twice within the path as posted). rm probably is the solution, but I join you in urging caution when suggesting to somebody who might or might not know what sudo rm -rf is doing to use it without further warning :brain: :ghost:

1 Like

Indeed, the username was filtered because I used < username > (without the spaces) with was filtered. The path indeed is: /Users/your-user-name/Library/Application Support/Mail/Plug-ins/Bundles/Users/your-user-name/Library/Mail/Bundles.

Yes, I agree… using rm needs a warning before usage :slight_smile:

Thanks for the clarification.

ok – here’s the solution

1. rename the last “Bundles” to “Bundles_”
  2. reinstall the Apple Mail Plugin

… and you’re got to go.

Still does not work for me in BigSur 11.6, DT 3.8, Mail 14.0

Tried this full cleanup without help:

1. Confirm Full Disk Access and Automation enabled for DT in System Settings (also tried removal and addition - no help)
  2. Quit DT, quit Mail
  3. Rename BOTH Bundles to Bundles_
    PATH1: /Users/YOUR_USER/Library/Mail/Bundles
    PATH2: /Users/YOUR_USER/Library/Application Support/Mail/Plug-ins/Bundles/Users/YOUR_USER/Library/Mail/Bundles
  4. Run Mail and verify that there is NO DevonThink plugin in Settings / General / Manage plugins
  5. Quit Mail
  6. Run DT and verify that in DevonThink 3 / Install Add-Ons checkbox at “Apple Mail Plugin” is enabled and available (thus ready to be installed)
  7. Confirm installation with “Install” button
  8. Confirm that Bundles showed up in PATH1
  9. Run Mail and enable DT_BigSur plugin in Settings / General / Manage plugins, and of course allow Mail to restart itself
  10. Confirm that Bundles showed up in PATH2
  11. Try to drag & drop an e-mail into DT
    → NOPE!
  12. Open any e-mail and choose “Mailbox / Add to DevonThink 3”
    → “Archive emails” blinked for a fraction of a second in DT on bottom left corner and system message showed up from Apple Mail that “Imported 0 messages”

one comment - I find out that the e-mail I tried does not work, but many others I can drag & drop into DT.
This e-mail is a plain text so it is very strange. “Mailbox / Add to DevonThink 3” does not work at all.

Select an email in Apple Mail.
Choose Add message(s) to DEVONthink 3 in the global script menu in the menubar at the top of your screen.
Are you prompted to allow Mail to control DEVONthink?
If so, allow it.

Does that help?

1 Like