Making a clickable link in an RTF note

I may be missing something obvious, but how do you create a new RTF record and include a clickable link in the body of a note?

set theRTFContents to “blah blah”& linefeed & “x-devonthink-item://1234”
set theNewRecord to create record with theRTFContents

So in this example, the x-devonthink link should be clickable. Bonus points if I can create a link with the text being something other than the url itself.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

The only thing I can find on the forum is this old thread, but the solution doesn’t seem to work now.

RTF files are not that good a choice for scripting URLs. Possible? Yes. Simple? Not so much.
At a minimum, you can put the link into the contents but make sure DEVONthink’s Preferences > Editing > Smark Links is checked.

This is a simple core example, with an RTF file displayed in the window…

tell application id "DNtp"
	tell text of think window 1
		make new paragraph at end with data (return & "http://google.com” & return)
	end tell
end tell

Thanks for the pointer. It’s not quite what I was looking for as I’m creating a new record, rather than having an existing one selected, but that suggests I need to rethink what I’m trying to do.

Thanks for your help.

No problem.
While I’m still not a big advocate of RTF for this kind of thing, here’s a little snippet that may give you something to ponder…

tell application id "DNtp"
	set newDoc to create record with {name:"NewDoc", type:rtf, content:""} in current group
	set selection of think window 1 to {newDoc} 
	tell text of think window 1 to make new paragraph at end with data "x-devonthink-item://746D55BE-1764-41E5-A233-5D330E26166E"
end tell

This requires a view with a display, ie. not Icon or List views.
Cheers!

Ah! I thought selection was something to be read, not written. Thanks. That does exactly what I wanted.

Generally selection is to be read, but it can be used this way too. However, it’s often misused (or misunderstood), so when you’re automating, always stop and carefully consider if a selection actually needs to be made. It’s more rare that it does.
Cheers!