Making the web clipper as good as Evernote's

Thank you. I appreciate the time and effort you put into that post. Perhaps you understood me, better than I understood you. I was wanting to annotate within the document, like you can put notes in a PDF. Perhaps you were commenting on that and replying at the same time. Your reply seem to refer to having notes in a separate document from the document being commented on. I recognize that I probably do not fully understand the power of doing that, but it is harder to refer to a specific sentence, word, or paragraph in a document that way. Whereas notes in the document can be attached more or less right to the item upon which you wish to comment. (If those notes are not searchable, that does create problems which you are trying to address in your comment.) But I take it from your comment that it is not possible to annotate a RTFD within the document as it is possible to do so with a PDF. Is that correct?

As a new DTP user, and a long-time Evernote power-user, I am finding that DTP has a lot to offer that Evernote cannot. However, I am struggling with the DT Web Clipper in Chrome and Firefox.

I have done extensive searching in this forum, Google in general, and the DT User manual, but have been unable to get answers to my questions/issues.

The Evernote Chrome Clipper is very powerful, and very easy to use. It works very well with 95% of the sites I visit, and I use either the Article (90%) or Selection (5%) most of the time. The Article works extremely well, eliminating all of the non-relevant stuff 99% of the time.
I should add that the Evernote Note Editor has a feature called ā€œSimplify Formattingā€ which works incrediably well on clips from complex web pages. Itā€™s hard to describe, but basicly it removes all of the complex formatting, leaving on the basics, like text styling, simple bullet/numbered lists, and simple tables.

But so far, I have been very disappointed with the DT Web Clipper in Chrome and Firefox.

If anyone can point me to detailed video tutorial or instructions on how to use the DT Web clipper I would be most appreciative.

I canā€™t get the FireFox DT Web Clipper to work with this web site. The web archive it produces is NOT of the forum page, but give me ā€œBoard Index // Information // The requested topic does not exist.ā€ However, it seems to work OK on the DT home page.

Chrome is my preferred and default browser.
My Issues with the Chrome DT Web Clipper:

1. Clipping of a page with a ad that first appears (like at inc.com), seems to capture the article, but when displayed shows a white translucent image with ā€œContinue to inc.com ins 20 secā€. Clicking the button ā€œSkip adā€ does nothing. See example
  2. Unable to clip just a selection of the page
  3. Doing a ā€œnormalā€ clip includes a lot of non-relevant stuff (like ads)
  4. Havenā€™t found a way to edit the resulting Web Archive

I am hoping that the issue is just my ignorance about the DT Web Clipper.
Please edify me (links to tutorials/references would be great).

3 Likes

One person has tried to address this problem, in complicated way, thoughā€”
chainsawonatireswing.com/201 ā€¦ k//?from=@

I hope the DT team can come with a better web-clipper.

+1 for a better web clipper.

First reason why Iā€™m keeping using evernote (and importing notes to devonthink) basically is how much I prefer its web clipper

The only other reason why I canā€™t leave evernote is handwriting recognitionā€¦ that would be another fantastic feature to add in my opinion.

1 Like

Like JMichaelTX and others, I, too, prefer a web clipper that clips only what I select and clip it to DTP without including non-selected web content (except for articleā€™s url). If Evernote can do it, why not DTP? Anything like that in the works?

Is there a reason the solution has to be the same as Evernoteā€™s instead of merely using already-existing DEVONthink features? Selections of a web page can be clipped to DEVONthink by:

1. using the Safari contextual menu and its Share > Add to DEVONthink command, which invokes the web clipper interface and offers to make a Rich Text note with the selected content
  2. dragging the selected Safari content to the DEVONthink dock icon, which saves that content to the default import location specified in DEVONthink Preferences
  3. using the Safari Services menu to invoke either the DEVONthink ā€œTake Rich Noteā€ or the ā€œAppend Rich Noteā€ service
  4. dragging the selected Safari content to Sorter to either deposit it into a Sorter Take Note window or into a Sorter destination
  5. invoking ā€œTake Noteā€ with the keyboard shortcut and dragging the selected Safari content into a noteā€™s text field
  6. dragging the selected Safari content onto the desktop as a .webclipping and indexing or importing the clippings collected there into a DEVONthink database

We currently have six methods (with additional variations on several of them) ā€“ so why are none of them sufficient?

(Full disclosure: Iā€™m a big fan of the Evernote clipper UI and features, and very much dislike the ugly grey panel in DEVONthink.)

1 Like

Elegance, simplicity and ease of use. With Evernote you highlight what you want and click the icon. Less friction for the typical users, nothing in key strokes or drop down menus to remember, no extraneous junk pulled off the website along with what you want.

Sure Devonthink works and, as usual, there are multiple variations on how to get the material from the web into Devonthink. But for many users, I suspect, just a simple highlight and click on the Devonthink clipping icon analogous to Evernote would be most straightforward and meet their needs.

I do use some of the ways Korm has listed but most of the time a highlight and click would work fine and be easiest. Occasionally I do prefer a specific Devonthink import approach so I certainly donā€™t want them to go away.

2 Likes

Because they take longer to process. The select single click on icon for whatever method you select as your primary would go a long way to improving the DT clipper.

1 Like

The way I do this is by using kormā€™s #1 method above, (Safari contextual menu and its Share > Add to DEVONthink command) but I have attached a keystroke to it through the keyboard preferences so all I have to do is select the desired text and press my keystroke which opens up the grey panel that korm dislikes, then I can either choose a different format or keep it on the last used and press clip. Works fine for me :slight_smile:

Using the Safari contextual menu and its Share > Add to DEVONthink command for Rich Text does just copy only the selection Iā€™ve made on a webpage and nothing else (which is what I want), but it only copies it as plain text (even though Iā€™ve selected the Rich Text option) without the bold text (or other rich text) formatting and without the embedded URLs in my selection.

Again, what I want DTP to do, which Evernote does flawlessly, is to import my selectionā€”and only my selectionā€”with whatever rich text formatting and embedded URLs that exist in the selection.

Itā€™s the same with dragging a selection to the Sorter; the selected text does import, but only with some of the selectionā€™s original rich text formatting and in some sort of weird faded capture (see screen capture below and compare to kornā€™s original post).

And why should I have to use such an inefficient process as dragging the selected Safari content onto the desktop as a .webclipping and indexing or importing the clippings collected there into my DEVONthink database? And itā€™s the same inefficiency with invoking ā€œTake Noteā€ with the keyboard shortcut and dragging the selected Safari content into a noteā€™s text field (which Iā€™d first have to create a note to do).

I havenā€™t tried either of these last two methods to see if it would do what I want, but why canā€™t I get the selection I want just by invoking DEVONthinkā€™s webclipper?

I prefer DTP over Evernote for a variety of reasons, but at least with my OS (Mac OS 10.11.4), Evernote cleans DTPā€™s clock with respect to capturing just a webpage selection with original formatting and embedded links. I just donā€™t get why DTP canā€™t accomplish the same task with its webclipper.

DEVONthink (and Evernote for that matter) is at the mercy of the webpage. Iā€™ve had rich text copy failures in DEVONthink, as described by the correspondent above, and in Evernote. Sometimes a selection from a given page fails to come across as rich text in DEVONthink and succeeds in Evernote, and other times itā€™s the opposite. The web is a mess of bad coding ā€“ I wouldnā€™t blame anyoneā€™s clipper for failing since success depends on exogenous factors out of any developerā€™s control.

Note: we donā€™t have 400+ employees available to work on the browser extension alone. So, while nothing is just ā€œgood enoughā€ for us, we also have to allocate our resources far more judiciously than they do.

Also, as korm pointed out, Evernote also fails with their extension. In fact, just recently I had to use it for a Support Ticket and it failed on several pages our extension was working on. The Web is indeed the Wild West, despite whatever standards may be in place. (Itā€™s also why I wish we could remove the word ā€œautomaticallyā€ from peopleā€™s vocabulary when referring to software and the web.) And consider any standard created now has many years, and literally billions of web pages of legacy (ie. non-standardized) code that no one would EVER backwards maintenance. Sometimes, itā€™s amazing capturing web data works at all! 8) :mrgreen:

1 Like

Preface: I canā€™t include links in my post?

For me, the benefits are, highest priority to lowest is:

• get the full-text, for searching within DT
  • save some visual representation of the page, so when scanning, remembering things is easy because ā€˜oh yeah, I remember itā€™s this mostly blue page, with large white headersā€™
  • an image/pdf export
  • tagging
  • where does it go? db/groups etc,
  • smart processing, ie, remove ads, clean reading view etc

How

I donā€™t know if DT has the capability of running JS under the hood- the OSS projects I referenced further below allow for clipping seamlessly, directly into HTML files.

Repos

github[dot]com/gildas-lormeau/SingleFileZ
github[dot]com/gildas-lormeau/SingleFile

Why

• Itā€™s really really good
  • Saves as a standard HTML file, without the lockin of a .webarchive.
  • When browsing my stuff in DT, highlighting an HTML file in the main results would bring up the preview right away, vs having to drill down to the ā€œmainā€ file. These are what my clipped notes from Evernote import look like:

Comparison of resulting file types:

github[dot]com/gildas-lormeau/SingleFile#file-format-comparison

CLI version for devs + Browser Extensions

• Firefox: addons[dot]mozilla[dot]org/firefox/addon/single-file
    *Chrome: chrome[dot]google[dot]com/extensions/detail/mpiodijhokgodhhofbcjdecpffjipk

Deferred Processing

I tried the Chrome ex, I love how it runs asyncronously, with the little notification in the bottomā€¦ this lets me continue what Im doing without interruption. UX on this is really important- hopping back and forth between things quickly without losing flow.

A solid clipper would mean all in on DT and no more Evernote

2 Likes

Just noticed how old this thread isā€¦ this is my first day with DT trial
Hoping this has been improved/resolved

ditto to the request

better web clipper is critical for knowledge management db
saving as html or web archive ainā€™t best because of the size and cleanliness
websites such as reddit contains much valuable info in the discussion section which can be used as future reference. however, the current clipper is weak in clip the whole reddit thread in clean format

A better web clipper would be a huge benefit. Right now Iā€™m using the Evernote clipper, then taking the note in Evernote, printing to pdf and then importing that into DT3. Itā€™s painfulā€¦

Love DT and have been a user since 1.x. I think the web clipper, working properly, would be a huge deal.

Thanks!

I get the frustration.

Iā€™ve been using DT Clip to Markdown or copying and pasting into a Formatted Note when I need fairly simple text and images.

But when I want to keep an accurate copy of a web page, I use a Safari extension called ā€œPage Screenshotā€ (available in the Mac App Store) that allows me to take a ā€œscreenshotā€ of either the visible page or the entire pageā€”as a single imageā€”in either PDF, JPG, and/or PNG format. That preserves exactly what Iā€™m seeingā€”then I make a PDF with text by using OCR.

The only downside is that it captures the page as a single imageā€”which makes for a very tall imageā€”Iā€™m not sure how one would print it to paper. But it does allow me to keep an exact, WYSIWG ā€œarchiveā€ of a page.

And Iā€™ve found that when I select ā€œKeep full retina resolution qualityā€ checked, the file is very large (15+ MB) and wonā€™t OCR properly in DT 3ā€”I donā€™t know if itā€™s the size or dpi or what, but I keep that unchecked if Iā€™m going to want to extract a text layer from it.

The extension looks like this:

All, I believe that this is still not resolved. Is there any hope to see the save as article function? Just now I tried to capture a question and answer from Quora and just despaired. Whatever I saved was only showing the log in screen of Quora.

Hello,

As this thread is long, some info is old and the word ā€˜reloadā€™ doesnā€™t seem to be in here, I was wondering:

Why does the web clipper ā€˜reloadā€™ a page before itā€™s clipped? The problem I experience is that cookie walls and pop-overs get clipped, and I have a hard time to manually remove them from the webarchive or html.

Other clippers like the one from Evernote or Nimbus Note seem to use another capturing trick, so the loaded page gets clipped as-is. The latter even allows me to edit / modify the contents before itā€™s stored.

Best regards,
Maik

1 Like

Thatā€™s just the way the browser extension works at this time.

Note: There is no ā€œclipping standardā€. These things are developed independently and with their own solutions. Though our extension works in many instances, we have it on our list to enhance in the future. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
(Also, note that Evernote has 300+ employees and millions of dollars in funding. We are a small development house, completely self-contained and funded through our sales alone. And at one point, I heard rumor (though I didnā€™t try and substantiate it) they had at least 40 people working on the clipping extension technology.)

2 Likes