Markdown editor of choice (because these topics never get old!)

Since joining DEVONthink at the beginnig of the year, I’ve become very happy using markdown as my primary note format.

Over that period, I found that I preferred editing my markdown in BBEdit. (Folks in this forum have helped me to create a bitch’n workflow.

But for some reason, I just spent a few days trying to make Typora my primary editor.

For me, it did not work out. 1) Github and Multimarkdown flavors of markdown are not the same. 2) Typora is not able to respect custom css for id and class, of which I have many.

Tried to ignore the differences during editing, but Typora was changing the source in unexpected ways as well.

That’s me. Any better thoughts out there?

BBEdit. All the way.
Multimarkdown Composer for more academic writing.

I’ve been using the built-in DT Markdown editor when I can, IA Writer when I need some more muscle. I chose IA Writer because it’s virtually identical across Mac, iPad and iPhone. Turns out I don’t use it on the iPad or iPhone — at least yet — but still, it is a very nice editor and it does what I need it to do.

1 Like

@arasmus, Sounds interesting, do you mind expanding on the workflow and how you use it (and what it includes)

thx!

Z

• 95% in DEVONthink’s internal editor

• 4% in Brackets (legacy that is being replaced soon).

• 1% dinking around in other apps and returning to DEVONthink. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, what is your preferred sync method?

Bonjour and WebDAV on my local network.

Sure I can share.

I do not have “double click to open externally” enabled, my markdown notes (which is pretty much all of them) open in preview mode and fully rendered.

⇧⌘-O was a revelation for me. That opens any markdown note in BBEdit (my system default). Also RTF in TextEdit, and PDFs in PDF Expert. Which is sweet. So I can have an editing window and a rendered window open at the same time.

(Can anyone explain to me why text from some PDFs copies out as seeming-random characters? That’s bugging me…)

Back to BBEdit: I also use BBEdit “projects” to group related documents. And thanks to help from this forum, if I change my BBEdit focus to another document I can use the same ⇧⌘-O to open the current document in DEVONthink, for the rendered view.

By the way, I find DEVONthink’s rendering to be superior to Typora.

Rounding it all out, I use a number of Keyboard Maestro hacks to introduce styles, spans and auto-generated content.

It took a while to work out all the kinks, but now I can’t believe I was ever satisfied with Evernote.

So I can have an editing window and a rendered window open at the same time.

This is possible with View > Document Display > Side-by-Side.
Also, Script > Edit > Open in two windows works with a single document.

(Can anyone explain to me why text from some PDFs copies out as seeming-random characters? That’s bugging me…)

That would be a problem with the text layer of the PDF, not a DEVONthink issue.