Markdown export from browser failed

I really often used the functionality to save website content as Markdown.
Just now the export generates not markdown documents anymore, only webloc-files.

Does a restart of the app or a reboot of the computer fix this?

Yes, I have done that many times. I also waited for the next update,

What’s the full URL in this case?

but the problem occurs regardless of the provider / domain.

Which version of DEVONthink and of macOS do you use? I just clipped this website successfully using the same settings.

I have the problems on two macs

• MacPro 2010 // Mojave, 10.14.6 (Version 14.1 (14611.1.21.161.7)
  • MAcbookPro 16’’// BigSur 11.3.1 (Safari 14.1 (16611.1.21.161.6))
  • all uses DTPro 3.7.2

How did you exactly activate the Sorter in this case?

I use it in two ways.

1. the sharing menu

2. by using the icon within the browser bar

result:

I’m seeing no issue in Safari 14.1 in Catalina…

Are you running a custom network configuration?

1 Like

What do you mean with custom “network configuration”?

I’m within a local network, behind a router and an OPNSense Firewall. Primary DNS-Resolver for the clients is Pihole, forwarding to OPNSense with unbound DNS.

Ummm…. This. :wink:
That is definitely a non-standard setup.

No standard? What is standard?

This is a simple Small / Medium Business architecture. I used DTPro in complex environments without such problems.

For one, a piHole wouldn’t be commonly used in a corporate setting.

I’d say the majority of our clientele use whatever is out of the box from their Internet provider.

You are using a custom setup tailored to your situation. I’d be looking for any firewall or DNS messages that may be at play.

1 Like

Can you explain me please the relation between the behavior of the Sorter and DNS or firewall? Then I can search more targeted.
I would exclude Pihole, since I have been using the setup practically unchanged for years. If, I would look at the OPNSense more closely. But it would be easier if I knew what to look for.

Both Markdown clippings and decluttered clippings use our own Markdownifier server (based on http://heckyesmarkdown.com) for clipping the actual web page. If it’s blocked by your firewall or piHole, then it’s not possible to capture using these settings.

1 Like

I analyzed my Pihole log files: There are no entries related to heckyesmarkdown.com to find.

On my OPNSense I don’t use any block lists. Standard ports (like 433) are correctly forwarded / NATed.
I don’t have any other issues within my LAN.

For testing purposes I whitelisted the heckyesmarkdown.com as wildcard regex.

Test:

Same behavior like before:

Does the Heckyesmarkdown-API need special ports to open?

Our own server is based on Heckyesmarkdown but doesn’t use it any longer, the domain is markdownifier.devontechnologies.com.

1 Like

okayyyy . . now we are on the track…

I will analyze my OPNSense. But from a general point of view, I can’t understand how OPNsense will block this domain if I don’t use domain blocking inside my firewall.

PS.: I cannot find any related log entries within my OPNSense.