Markdown style sheet for DTTG

Can I specify a custom markdown style sheet ?

Is the default style sheet editable ?

As noted in the Help > Documentation > Documents > Markdown Documents

And no, the default styling cannot be edited.
You can specify a stylesheet, add a default one, or create styling in the document itself. These are also mentioned in the same Help section.

1 Like

My apologies if it was not clear, but as I mentioned that I was asking about DTTG.

I also looked at its help file and I didn’t see a way of setting the style sheet globally.

Thanks

In DTTG, you can use the other possibilities mentioned in the documentation to provide a stylesheet. Namely a DT link to your CSS or a line

CSS: path-to.css

at the start of the MD file

1 Like

No. It’s my turn to apologize. I failed to notice the forum section you posted in.
There currently is no Preference to set a default style sheet in DEVONthink To Go. This may be a feature in a future version.

4 Likes

Thanks

This feature is crucial for DTTG. Including the <style> tags within each document (such as created with a template) seriously screws up the magic hat when looking for related documents. Not having the <style> tags in each document doesn’t matter on the Mac because the markdown files just read the default stylesheet and display accordingly. But those same notes in DTTG display as plain text, which is nigh on useless.

E.g., I use the classes “fits” (bold & green) and “nope” (red & strikethrough) in my research notes. I could type out each of those properties every time I want to mark text, on every document, but the point of using DTTG is to save time, not waste it. Screenshot from Mac. (And for DTTG, just imagine plain text.)
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 2.26.50 PM

If you are referring to DEVONthink 2.x, it is long out of development. We do not suggest planning on long-term use of it as the 3.x line has superseded it (and is vastly superior).

Not having the tags in each document doesn’t matter on the Mac because the markdown files just read the default stylesheet and display accordingly.

That is not entirely correct. A default stylesheet doesn’t have to be used in DEVONthink on the Mac. Therefore it uses the font specified in Preferences > Editing > Rich Text & Note Font.

In DEVONthink To Go, there is also default styling applied.

If you are referring to DEVONthink 2.x, it is long out of development. We do not suggest planning on long-term use of it as the 3.x line has superseded it (and is vastly superior).

Nope. I use DT3.

The point is that I use a custom stylesheet in DT3 and there is no way that I have been able to find that allows that customized stylesheet to exist in DTTG. Tables have no borders and no shading. Classes are plain text because DTTG doesn’t know they exist.

Hi,

I have added my css to my DT database and reference it in my MD notes.

---
css:     x-devonthink-item://DT ITEM URL
---

This will show my MD notes with my css formatting in DTTG.

Ulrich

Are there any plans to allow the user to specify a Markdown style sheet in DTTG3 that would over-ride the default, as in the DT Mac Preferences?

It would be good to have them styled in the same way that I have on the Mac. I realise I can add links to my Markdown files in DTTG3 to give me that style, but I don’t want to have to go back and edit hundreds of files if a simple DTTG3 Preference could give me the same result.

Keith

It’s on the list of potential enhancements but I can’t give any timeframe.

OK, thanks. I’ll hold off from making any mass edits.

Keith

For anyone who comes here looking for more info about custom style sheets in DTTG: in May 2022, version 3.5, DTTG added support for custom css. You can even keep your css in one or more separate files in DEVONthink, and simply reference the file(s) in the DTTG custom css panel (instead of copy-pasting the actual CSS content).

(Many thanks to the developers for implementing that!)

2 Likes

<advertising>

</advertising>

3 Likes

A very nice series, BTW. Thank you for writing that.