MBox Import not Importing All Emails

In both Devonthink3 and Devonthink 2, I imported an MBox which I know has ~6800 emails. When I imported the emails via File–>Import–>UnixMailbox, and selected the mbox file, both DT2 and DT3 imported only ~6100 of the emails, leaving ~700 emails not imported.

In DT2, the email import clearly shows there were supposed to be 6800 emails, and when I attempt to re-import the emails and filter by the “already imported,” it shows they were all imported. Has anyone else experienced this issue, or know of a fix?

Best,

Kevin

Welcome @kkluckhohn

It’s likely you have duplicate emails. Check DEVONthink’s Window > Log.

Note: You should not run DEVONthink 2 and 3 on the same account, on the same machine. At a minimum, you should delete DEVONthink 2.x from the /Applications folder and reboot the machine.

Thanks @BLUEFROG! So, I looked in the log (hadn’t thought about that), and it says: “698 previously imported.” I assume that means that it somehow determined that there were duplicates, so chose not to import those. Thank you for that information!

Now that I have a license for 3.x, I will remove 2.x. Have to say, aboslutely love this software. Is there a reason that having 2.x and 3 on the same account is problematic?

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:
And thanks for the encouraging words!

Is there a reason that having 2.x and 3 on the same account is problematic?

The main one is that DEVONthink 2.x and 3.x share the same application bundle id, which can easily cause confusion in the operating system. The operating system can make its own guess as to what version of DEVONthink it should open, and it’s not always consistent in that choice either.

Cheers!

Thanks! Always happy to support a local Idaho business as well! Keep up the good work!

Thanks! :smile: