Merge tags sometimes works, sometimes not. [Answered]

Hi all,

Pretty new DT3 user here. I am trying to merge similar (and identical) tags, after I imported my data from a messy Evernote system. I noticed that sometimes when I select two tags and right-click, I get the option to merge the tags, and some other times, I don’t.
Why is that? Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong here?

Just to demonstrate, it works in this case when I try to merge 14-02 and 14-03:

…and it doesn’t when I try to merge 14-03 and 14-04. I will upload the image separately, because I cannot embed more than 1 image (new user).

If it turns out I am doing something wrong, I’ll remove the bug-report tag obviously :smiley:

Best,
Mark

This is the image of the situation where I don’t get the option to merge the tags:

Welcome @MJS

Please post a screen capture of what you have selected in the Navigate sidebar. I have a suspicion but want a confirmation.

As I suspected.
You have the top level Tags selected. That means you’re seeing a union of the tags groups of all open databases. That also means you’re occasionally trying to merge tags in different databases, which you can’t do.

2 Likes

Hi!

Thank you, that makes sense. And it it also explains why there are several tags with exactly the same name.
If I wanted to decapitalize all tags, and not do much extra work because some of them are in a bunch of databases, could I pull all data into one of the databases, perform my cleanup, and then move everything back to where it came from?

Mark

You’re welcome and indeed, logic wins!

If I wanted to decapitalize all tags, and not do much extra work because some of them are in a bunch of databases, could I pull all data into one of the databases, perform my cleanup, and then move everything back to where it came from?

No, that woud not be a good idea as it would take the tagged files along with the tag groups.

I will make a suggestion later (as I’m on the road).