Metedata cache from Devonthink 2? (now that I am using DT3)

Hi there,

I’ve recently upgraded to DT 3. I still have DT 2 installed, but will delete it shortly (Have now deleted it).

I notice when I do searches in Spotlight (and related tools, such as Houdahspot), I get many results that are Devonthink (.dtp2) files. This is very useful, as it helps me find items that are on my system stored in DT). I see these items are all located in ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/DEVONthink Pro 2/ …

I’d like to understand what these caches are, and whether DT3 uses them, or whether I delete them, and whether I’ll still get such search results (from DT3) once I delete these caches.

The reason I am perhaps a little confused about this is that DT3 does not appear to have built such a metadata cache. I’ve read numerous posts in these forums saying it’s safe to delete those caches, and that they can be refreshed by hitting the “Rebuild” button in the Database Properties panel.

I’ve clicked that button for each database, via DT3, and it showed me a rebuild was taking place, but I don’t see that it’s had any impact on what’s in the ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/ … folder. Is this because it’s using the ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/DEVONthink Pro 2/ … cache, or that it’s storing it somewhere else?

As my Spotlight search results are ONLY showing DT files from the above-mentioned folder, and nothing from a DT3 specific folder, I am concerned if I delete it, I will no longer see DT items in Spotlight.

Thanks.

Jonathan

.dtp2 files are for DEVONthink 2.x. You can delete those.
.dt3 files are for DEVONthink 3 and are stored in ~/Library/Metadata/com.devon-technologies.think3.

1 Like

Thanks Bluefrog.

I’ve looked in the ~/Library/Metadata/com.devon-technologies.think3 folder, and see that it contains relatively few files.

And when I search in Spotlight or Houdaspot, I only see DT results from that ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/DEVONthink Pro 2/ folder. Otherwise, I see no DT3 related results, even though DT3 is what I am now using.

So if I delete the ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/DEVONthink Pro 2/ folder, I’ll get no Devonthink results, which makes no sense to me. Can you please explain how to resolve that?

Thanks.

This would be showing data in DEVONthink 2.x, which you shouldn’t still have installed.

I’d delete it and do a File > Database Properties > Rebuild on the Spotlight index for each database.

Also, if you’re indexing files, you’re not going to see a lot of data in the Metadata folder as that’s handled by normal Spotlight indexing.

Indeed. It shows in DEVONthink 2.x. Which isn’t of any use now that I am using DT 3.x
I would like the equivalent to show in DEVONthink 3.x.

I’ve done that already. It didn’t result in DEVONthink 3 files showing up when I use Spotlight or related search tools to search my computer for content, files, etc. It also didn’t result in DT 3 creating an equivalent store of data in ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/ …

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying here.

Perhaps it would be best if we break this down to the basics? Such as …

1. With DT 2.x I was able to find all files, emails, etc., stored in DT databases via Spotlight and related search tools.

2. These files were all found via the large amount of data (456 mb) DT 2.x had stored in ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/DEVONthink Pro 2/

3. How do I achieve the same end result now that I am using DT 3.x?

Thanks for your help. I hope what I am trying to achieve is clear and simple enough, and that you can provide an equally clear and simple answer. :innocent: