Missing manifest error

I constantly get missing manifest errors for my two databases. Is this something I need to worry about? IT seems like they never go away, but it looks like I have all the correct data. Using the new iCloud to sync between DT and DTTG on phone and iPads.

Welcome @LightCreator

And yes, this is a matter of concern as it’s issues with the transactional sync data.

In DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync, select the sync location, Control-click the database in the database’s list on the right, hold the Option key, and choose Verify Database Thoroughly. Results will be reported in Window > Log.

If the Log window shows errors, Control-click the database in the sync location, and choose Clean Database. After the clean has been reported successfully in the Log window, enable it for syncing again. Repeat with other databases, as needed.

I would ask if you ​need ​to use a remote sync option like CloudKit. There is a forum post discussing the options and considerations of the available sync methods.: Sync Types Explained​

I find WebDAV sync a lot more reliable than CloudKit. I used to get lots of these errors, and I did lose data. I’m pleased I switched to WebDAV.

By the way — I find this repeated questioning of people’s need for online sync to be quite patronising. Whilst I know you have good intentions, online sync is standard for apps these days and people expect it to work.

2 Likes

Why would it be patronizing to ask someone if they really need something? Online sync is only necessary if people at different locations are working on the same documents at the same time. Which is very often not the case since there’s only one user involved anyway, or several people are working on different documents at the same time etc.

I think that most people asking for online sync don’t need it but can instead simply use Bonjour. Which is easier to set up (if they read the manual, that is) and less susceptible to errors then the online sync methods.

2 Likes

Glad to hear you’re having a good experience with WebDAV.

I find this repeated questioning of people’s need for online sync to be quite patronising.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Sync may be prevalent but that does not mean it’s bulletproof, even outside DEVONthink. Ignoring DEVONthink, if you look at discussions about cloud services you will often find many reports of “this Dropbox folder didn’t sync!” and “why isn’t iCloud working”, etc. Far more reports than many people would imagine, actually.

It is our job to point people to resources and give them direction toward the best experience we can. This is often a local sync, not one involving a remote server of some kind. Suggesting everyone should use a remote sync option would be to put some people in a position of becoming frustrated. We err on the cautious side with more robust methods.

1 Like

I appreciate the response.

Personally, I’d hate to be without online sync simply because I use three devices (Mac, ipad, iPhone) and I don’t want the hassle of needing to sync all three when I leave or arrive home.

Personally, I’d hate to be without online sync simply because I use three devices (Mac, ipad, iPhone) and I don’t want the hassle of needing to sync all three when I leave or arrive home.

This is my use case, I use DTTG on three devices, two iPads, and an iPhone. I sync because I need the file when I am not home with my computer. If I were home, I’d simply look at it on there.

Which still does not mean that you have to sync while you’re abroad. Having bonjour running on your Mac and pointing your mobile devices to it will make sure that they are up to date before you leave.

1 Like

I don’t see the relevance of being abroad.

But regardless. I don’t want to have to take effort to sync my iPad and iPhone every time I leave and arrive home (i.e. turn my MacBook on, open the DTTG apps). I don’t do this with any other apps.

It appears as if Apple’s services is the unreliable actor here. I use Bonjour (and occasionally Dropbox to prove to myself it works) routinely.

2 Likes

I’d rather not rehash the discussion about whether or not sync is a necessity. But unfortunately I have to report that with the switch to iOS 17 I also experience missing manifest errors for a handful of files. And they also seem okay in all databases. I already cleaned out the sync store as advised by BLUEFROG but with no effect. At this time I cannot see how this will develop but I’d like to make you guys at DT aware of the issue.

Best to provide a key detail: what third party internet sync service throws this error at you?

Thanks for the hint, totally forgot to mention: I use sync via Apple CloudKit (and I think it’s more likely to be an issue with Apple than with DT since it coincides with the OS upgrade).

1 Like

Perhaps try another sync service? There’s Dropbox, Bonjour and WebDAV, who are for many more reliable than Apple’s cloud.

1 Like