Missing View in DT3 - this feature was so wonderful in DT2

We will probably add an option to view only contents in the List view to upcoming releases. Please note that there are no plans to revive old features, new features will be improved steadily instead.

3 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking, what was the reason for removing this feature from DT3? I know it’s silly, but I’ve used this view for the past two years and I’m having a difficult time adjusting. :confused:

2 Likes

There are actually many reasons but the main one is that the new sidebar and List view combination makes this obsolete in most cases (especially if an option to view only contents in the List view will be added).

1 Like

I appreciate your listening to all this feedback and responding so positively to a real barrage of questions, problems, and requests. I hope you’ll excuse my adding one more… :slight_smile:

In the DT3 sidebar I can’t use the arrow keys to navigate between folders like I could in the DT2 Three-Pane View. I have to do a lot of mousing around as a result.

Is there a reason that the arrow-keys cannot be used to navigate between folders in the DT3 sidebar? Is this something that could be changed?

Big thanks for your help.

This is currently intentional, sidebars usually don’t get the keyboard focus (e.g. in DEVONthink 2/3, Mail or Fidner). One workaround might be to use Go > Go to Group… instead.

it’d be cooler if they did :wink:

1 Like

For what it is worth – add me to the request and preference to include the Three-pane-view from DTP 2. I use it 98% of the time. And even with the nw sidebar, it helps eliminate the “click fest” when diving into the folder hierarchy

2 Likes

@cgrunenberg, I mentioned the following in a couple of other threads on the same topic, but I’m combining it here for clarity and simplicity:

I would be great if the ability to select multiple items (e.g., folders) in the Navigator sidebar would be implemented (like in Mail). That ability, coupled with the added option to only view contents in List view like you mention above, would effective replace the missing view that those of us here utilized in our workflow. It would allow multiple folders to be selected, have (only) their contents displayed in list view, and allow for wide screen viewing of the document selected in the list view.

Thanks for considering.

2 Likes

I’ve posted about an aspect of this elsewhere, but this may be a better place for it.

Briefly – the sidebar also doesn’t allow you to see the information of a group – you have to navigate back up to the enclosing group then into list view, then select the group again. This is a bit clunky…

Thanks.

More details:

I´m also missing this way to view the files and find the new combination very confusing.

The reported omission of the 3-Pane View from v3 is disconcerting. I use this view, with the Widescreen option enabled and sidebar hidden, exclusively, as this setup shows both the structure and content of the database in one compact view, with the fewest distractions — I can see items in the context of the database, which I find valuable to the point of being essential.

The only thing missing from this setup is that I must click around endlessly to see the complete contents of any given group in the hierarchy, because no view shows in list format the combined contents of a group and nested groups (that is, both the documents in a group and its sub-groups). IMO, this would be a valuable enhancement, along with keeping 3-Pane View, which to me is the most useful view of all the options. (If there is some benefit to the inability to see the co-mingled contents of a group, i.e., its documents and groups together, that I’m somehow not seeing please point it out to me, as this behavior seems burdensome rather than enabling. I have never really understood this design decision.)

2 Likes

I’m using it always. Not having it in DT3 will let me stay with DT2.
Please, please integrate it into DT3 !!!

Just to add my voice here too:

• I will upgrade to DT3, but not immediately - it seems to disrupt my way of working all too much

• At the moment the benefits are not clear at all (to me)

• The main reason being that I absolutely want my 3-pane view back

• I am investigating analogous software solutions such as e.g. Keep It

• Question: Is there a DT-3 manual available in PDF format?

1 Like

G
For the access of groups and items, I find that the the combination view of image and image and image and image is pretty much similar to and even more convenient/faster than the same operations in 2.n.

However, I think there is a good reason for asking for 3-pane view, but the solution is not necessarily to bring back the the 3-pane view.

The main difference between the sidebar of 2.n and 3.0 is the way the global and non-group/item related elements (such as inboxes, tags, and smart groups) are accessed.
In 2.n, the sidebar is only used to access the global level elements. Once a database is clicked/selected in 2.n sidebar, the side-pane in the 3-pane view is taking care of the access of all database-specific elements (inbox, tags, smart groups, groups) and most actions (e.g., selection/expansion of tree/rename) can be executed by keyboard keys. This arrangement is more convenient in a one-window environment - particularly when users need/only need to focus on one database, such as setting up a new db or to reorganise the db structure.

In 3.0, the sidebar is used to access the non group/item elements at global and database level. I find my self using more combination of clicks and keys to search for the non-group/item database level elements during the setup and reorganisation process. And I find myself using two-windows in most of the time (one for items and another window for setting up tags and rules and groups) But once the structure of the db is stabilised, 3.0 actually speed up the access/edit/search of items.

So I guess it’s a change of habit by (1) using two main windows more in 3.0, at least at the stage of new db setup and db structure organisation, and (2) utilising more on the combination of different views and bread-crumb path bar to jump around. I also find ctrl-cmd-g and ctrl-cmd-m extremely handy - I hope there will be a ctrl-cmd-t for tags!.
Or
In the future, DT can find a way to make it easier for use to access all of the database-specific elements in one place.

Every users are different, I am just sharing my own experience.

BTW:
The Go > Go to Group… panel can be detached and afterwards used e.g. for drag & drop.

2 Likes

I cannot understand why a feature (3 pane view) has been abolished. Having optional views is fine.

Pretty sure I just replicated the 3-pane view ALMOST exactly, and certainly as close as is presently possible in DT3.

Please see:

Can you show us a screen shot, please?

@apoc527 has posted screenshots, over in the other thread. But you can click on the little blue numbers ([51] and [59]) in his post above, to view them here.

The column which shows separately all documents of a group. This is the most important collection for me.