Moving an item from inbox in one database to another folder in another database which already has a copy of the file

I find myself moving an item from inbox in one database to another folder in another database which already has a copy of the file. The move fails, without feedback, because the file is already there. There is no pop-up box which states ‘file already there’.

Also, I would so much appreciate having a hot key which moves back to the inbox database view after a move a file.

There will be a messge logged in Window > Log or the Log popover in the toolbar. The toolbar icon will be enabled and show a badge when there are messages to inspect.

Also, I would so much appreciate having a hot key which moves back to the inbox database view after a move a file.

Please clarify what you’re referring to here.

The use case of the file which will not move due to the file already being there without any form of feedback is related to DEVONthink to Go rather than DEVONthink desktop which indeed has a Log view whereas To Go doesn’t.

The idea is after moving a file, to another database, one can go back to the inbox in the inbox database with fewer clicks.

It doesn’t work well with DEVONthink to go. I think I’m about to transition back to a single database … too much sync issues between an IPhone, an IPad and Desktop with multiple databases.

Using a single database is not a panacea for syncing issues. What issues are you referring to?

OK, I will be more precise. I had a big inbox in a single database called Inbox. I had syncing issues. After getting my iPad DTG syncing against my iPhone DTG on the common Onedrive, the desktop version would still think there were remaining 50 items. I had to force remove the inbox on my desktop, then re-upload, to weed it out… now I have something that syncs in a stable manner. So forget that.

Onto my issue with move from inbox in inbox database, to another database… with an existing item… this use case should not in principle arise. I will drop it as well.

The one thing which I find that is worth commenting is why upon moving a file to another database, instead of going back to the first item in the inbox, it displays a ‘Nothing Selected’ awaiting the reselection of an item in the inbox.

I would plead in favor of an option that could be called ‘Automatically select first item in the Global inbox in the Inbox database after moving a file from the global inbox database to another database’.