Moving file from inbox to another database makes a duplicate

Sorry, I couldn’t answer because of being a new guy and it cut me off for 6 hours.

Yes, it occurs when moving from the Global inbox to another database.

Do you already use version 3.8.4 on all machines?

Yes I do, use 3.8.4.

Does this still happen after disabling the automatic/scheduled sync? And did this happen since updating to 3.8.4 too or only with older versions?

This started happening after updating to 3.8.4.
Can you explain how to disable the automatic/scheduled sycn? So that I do it properly.

See popup menu in Preferences > Sync

I turned off the sync. Moved a file from the inbox to a database. And it did not duplicate. I then turned on the sync function. Still no duplication. Then moved another file from the inbox to a different database and it has not been duplicated yet.

I feel like telling this will have jinked it and it will duplicate files again. But, everything is good so far.

Just so you know. Last night I deleted DEVONthink on all machines and followed the complete removal. Downloaded and started again. But, even after doing that the file would duplicate after moving from the inbox to a database. But since turning off sync and turning it back on. Files have not been duplicated. I don’t know. Seems very strange to me.

Last night I deleted DEVONthink on all machines and followed the complete removal. Downloaded and started again.

• So you are running just a bare installation now, i.e., with no added smart rules, scripts, etc.?

• Do you have any folder actions applied to folders in the Finder?

I do not have any smart rules, scripts, or anything running. I don’t have any folder actions applied to the folders in the finder. Before deleting everything DEVONthinks, I didn’t have any scripts or smart rules running that I can remember.

Hello, I have the same trouble, but on my iPhone and iPad !
Since a few months
Everything is up to date, DT and OS…
No smart rules, no folder actions, same as @htidball !

So you move a file from the Global Inbox to another database in DEVONthink To Go, and it generates a duplicate?

Does the files have copy appended to the name?

No, the file is exactly the same !

• Are you syncing with another device, e.g., a Mac?
    • If so, what is the state of things on the other device?

I sync only with my iPhone and my iPad.
The sync seems to be OK. But the documents in my Inbox moved to a database are still in my Inbox and in the database on the iPhone and iPad, but not on my Mac ! :thinking:

I got the same issue. But I’m not having it on every single file in my inbox. It happens once on a folder, and since then, it keeps duplicating that folder in my inbox. What’s funny is it just duplicates the folder itself, not the files inside it. And no matter how many times I delete these folders, they always come back the next day.

This is likely a different issue, though anyone on this thread could also try this…

1. Quit DEVONthink.
  2. In the Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste: ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Inbox
  3. If you see the folders in here you can safely delete them.
  4. Relaunch DEVONthink.

Done it.

Still same troubles :frowning_face:

Did you find things in the folder I mentioned?

No, there were nothing. I throw it in the trash, anyway.
Then I launch DEVONthink, move a file, and looked at it again. Then there was one thing in it (Seen from the file folder DEVONthink 3)
But the file was still in the inbox on the iPad and in the folder I moved it…

I have the same problem has a solution been found? I am very concerned that I am either filling my database up with duplicates or worse, losing items upon transfer from the inbox to the database.