Moving to new iPhone > Sync deactivated & Requires re-download

I moved from iPhone 12 Pro to iPhone 13 Pro using Apples device-to-device option. Most of the apps migrated to the new iPhone with all of the on-device content.

For DEVONthink, iCloud (CloudKit) syncing was deactivated on the new iPhone. I had to re-enter my sync key. I then had to re-download the ~30k items.

Is this by design? My expectation would have been that DEVONthink migrates to the new iPhone along with all of the content from the old iPhone.

Did you also move from DEVONthink To Go 2 to 3 at the same time? But even then the data store should be migrated too. So, no, this is not by design. Maybe if you’d send us an email from ? > Contact us inside the app we can see something in the Console.log file that it attaches.

Hello, I experienced the same when I migrated to a new iPhone using the apple nearby tool.
DTTG app was there, but no databases. I had to activate iCloud sync and I am facing to resync 6 database with about 100GB data. I am concerned regarding the required time.

So, actually the database should be actually migrated as well?

• Did you migrate from iCloud data?
  • Did you have DEVONthink To Go’s Settings > Backup data to iCloud enabled?

The same happened to me; I did not migrate via iCloud but directly (phone to phone). The databases were not included in that migration. Of course, syncing was rapid via Bonjour (but did require me to enter my Bonjour key in DTTG).

For what it’s worth, my databases are not included in iCloud backup.

2 Likes

At first I used the apple process, having my previous phone nearby to migrate as much as possible.
So, the DTTG app came over, but the databases. not.

I am syncing with iCloud.
I don’t use Backup to iCloud (almost 100GB)

Yesterday evening, I enabled iCloud sync within DTTG and mark all my six database to sync and disabled the power off of the iPhone 13. Thanks to Devonthink’s improvement and stability of iCloud sync and probably the stronger CPU of the iPhone 13, five of six database were synced completely this morning. The failing database came thru later, too.

So, I am a happy camper. But I assume that there others out there, who might be interested to do it the right way.

As far as we know there is nothing special we could do to tell iOS to also migrate databases. I presume that excluding databases from iCloud backups also excludes them from automatic migration to a new device as, e.g., also apps are not directly migrated but downloaded anew from the App Store.

2 Likes

You are right, I assume as well that with iCloud Backup active the database files would be migrated.
Since you did a great job of making iCloud sync sufficient fast and stabil, it took only one night to sync 90GB of data to my new iPhone.
That is fine, since it is only required when a new iOS device is bought.
Thanks to you and your team for providing such a powerful application to manage tons of information.
:grinning: :pray:

2 Likes

Thank you! We‘re very glad that our apps are useful for you!