My UI suggestions

I have to disagree with Keene here; the Flow interface is not OS X compliant (it seems all too close to the interface apocalypse that is Adobe CS4). It’s internally coherent (which cannot be said 100% about DTP) but it is not a Mac-like user experience (among other issues Flow has). Indeed, it looks like an Adobe Air-based app. Not a fan.

I get what you’re saying here, I’m glad my screen is wide or I’d scrolling back and forth to see everything, but what alternative do you suggest?

Personally, I’d like to see iTunes & iPhoto behave more like DT, even if it meant a second sidebar, so I could have more than one library open at the same time and easily navigate between them, instead of using a hack like iPhoto Library Manager or opening/closing the application every time I wanted to switch between libraries.

I would suggest a more refined design, which I think it requires a total overhaul of the hole user interface. I thought that was going happen for the v2, when developers announced they were working on it and it took time to release the beta (oh little dreamer…). But the reality, with all respect and admiration for the developers, is that the user interface is still the same, plus new icons and a new sidebar. So now I think we have to adapt to what they offer.

I mostly agree, except the usability isn’t always coherent to me because of long-standing focus/navigation issues.

Whether or not it sparks further discussion here’s something I originally posted in the closed beta forum (last December, after pb1 was released) that I’ve wanted to re-post publicly for awhile:

No difference (AFAICT) in pb3.

And one more:

Well put. That accurately sums my view of the application: immensely powerful with lots of potential, but a frustrating UI that causes me to waste a lot of time, and to continually seek alternative software. The focus issues that sjk nicely summarized, the continual reliance on kludges and scripts to accomplish what should be an integral part of the application, the regression in some key features (such as Sheets, fuzzy logic) are frustrating and unfortunate.

I’m not all that bothered by the UI in 2.0 and I use DTPO extensively now that I’ve completely switched from Together. Do I like aspects of the Together UI better? Yes. Do I like the functionality of DTPO better? Yes. Are some features slower to access in DTPO? Yes. Do I miss the few seconds in the day? No.

I would be happy with just a couple of changes. Incorporate the the two sidebars into one. Make it blue like other Mac apps. I don’t foresee any great confusion telling the global from the database that’s open as long as they aren’t intermingled…and I frequently have 3-4 db open.

Get rid of the drawers on the right and incorporate the function into the center UI. Click on see also and a sidebar appears within the window on the right side. Click on red button and it disappears or just drag it closed. Same thing with words. They don’t appear at the same time as it is so there’s no conflict. Developers can leave info and keywords as pop windows if they like.

I personally would like the see also, words, etc. located within a border along the bottom of the main window rather than in the middle bar which I find to be a pain, but I can live without it.

Any update on labeling? Is there going to be some implementation of a more distinct visual cue of an assigned label than just an icon being colorized?