Need an easier way to make replicants

Now that “implicit tagging” seems like it’s going to be based on where a file lives, it becomes more important to be able to replicate easily within large database.

For example, when you open up the See Also panel, the only option is “move” – even though you can move to many places, creating replicates, you still must move out of the document’s current location. This is fine for items in the Inbox, but not for items that are already where they should be.

It should work that if I hold down the Option button, the “Move” button turns into a “Replicate” button. This doesn’t change the functionality of the dialog at all, it just doesn’t move the document after I click the button.

Holding down Command-Option while dragging to a group in the See Also pane will replicate the document.

I’m sorry, that’s not good enough. The amount of dragging I would have to do would preclude me from ever using such a clunky method! What if you want to replicate to 4 of the groups you see in the classify panel? Do you really want to have drag-option-command four times?

John

I would not drag Option-Command 4 times. I would select the groups I want to replicate to in the See Also pane, using the Command key to make a discontinuous selection, then drag the documents to one of the selected groups. If you would rather click on the Move To button instead of dragging, you can do the following:

1. Select the document in the file list.
  2. Select the groups in the See Also pane to replicate to.
    3a) Option-Command-click on the Move To button replicates the document to the chosen location, and in the process moves the document from its current location. This is useful if I have a document in the Inbox and I want to a) move it from the Inbox while b) creating replicants in 2 or more groups.

OR

3b) Shift-Option-Command-click on the Move To button replicates the document to the chosen location, and in the process keeps a replicant of the document in its current location. This is useful if I have a document in a group where I want it and create replicants in 2 or more additional groups.

When you actually select multiple groups in the “Classify” panel, and then klick on “Move”, the item in question will move to these groups and turn into replicants. The only problem with this method arises when one of the groups you want the item move to does not show up in the Classify panel.

Nils

Ok, let’s just make Shift-Option-Command-click be Option-click then. :slight_smile:

How did you ever figure out that keybinding??

John

I did not know what the key bindings for this was until you first posted this-I had always used the drag function I described above. I played with a few combinations and stumbled upon them. An interesting thing about DT is that as it can do so much, in so many different ways, it’s sometimes entertaining to just explore the possibilities even though I may be entrenched in using DT in another way.