New computer and transferring databases

Just purchased a new MBP14 and for the first time in a decade, I’m going to perform a full install from scratch. I’m concerned about the cruft that has traveled with these past several migrations and OS upgrades.

My question is, I currently sync between two Macs and one iPad so I assume I could just use the sync process to get my 5 databases, totaling about 50GB, but that would take a lot of time. Can I just drag and drop the databases from the old machine to the new machine, and then manually open them with the newly installed version of DT3 on the new machine?

Also, after the transition, I will be selling one of the Macs. Is there a process for “deauthorizing” the old Mac and “authorizing” the new one from a licensing point of view?

Thanks in advance.

Larry

Login your account at http://www.devontechnologies.com
Remove the device from your registration

Yes, this is a feasible way to manually transfer the database files, especially in light of you selling one of the machines. However, by “just drag and drop”, I mean using an external hard drive to shuttle the database files between machines.
We advocate putting them in the Databases folder in your home directory.

I would also suggest migrating the ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3 directory and any custom scripts you may have added to ~/Library/Application Scripts/com.devon-technologies.think3.

Thanks for your prompt assistance.

I love DT3 and it’s great support network.

Larry

1 Like