New iCloud sync

Yes, but in checking that I stumbled across the next page where I needed to (and had not) turned on each database!

I just downloaded 3.6.2 on my Mac, but am now terrified to sync through Cloudkit and lose my databases. Is it ok to just click on them, and do they truly merge with the existing databases?

And, if duplicates do appear as a result, is there a quick way to remove them?

Thanks!

Why would you lose your databases? :thinking:

I don’t know, but stranger things have happened. So just want to be safe before turning it on.

Should I unclick “iCloud legacy” and then click on Mac/Preferences/ “iCloudkit” for syncing purposes moving forward? I want to make sure I don’t lose files or generate lots of duplicates. Thanks!

Hi,

sorry for the late answer, yes, they are.

Regards,
Björn

No worries and glad to hear it! :slight_smile:

Hi again,

this evening, however, the sync reports errors…

1. I discovered the error on my iPhone. The databases are synced between the following devices:
  • iPhone, iOS14.4, DTTG3.03 using iCloud (CloudKit), syncing six (6) databases
  • iPad, iPadOS 14.4, DTTG3.03 using iCloud (CloudKit), syncing six (6) databases
  • MacBook Pro, macOS 10.15.7, DT3 3.6.2 using iCloud (CloudKit), syncing six (6) databases
  1. The error on the iPhone was:
    "iCloud (CloudKit)
    File
    “—.manifest” missing of database “X”, where “X” could be substituted for several databases as well as the Global Inbox. Further, the same errors were found in both the MacBook Pro and the iPad.
  2. In macOS, I tried to verify the databases in the sync panel of the “Preferences” window, but again, it was not working as expected. Sometimes it was possible to click the “Verify Database Quickly” in the context menu, but most of the time the option was greyed out. Sometimes, I got and error of a broken database. Trying to “Refresh List” sometimes enabled “Verify Database Quickly” in the context menu.
  3. I then tried turning off all of the devices (including the Mac) and booted the Mac and started DT in hope of having one device syncing without interfering with the sync of the other devices.
  4. Once syncing was performed as indicated in the “Sync” tab in the “Preferences” window, I tried to “Verify And Repair Database” using the “Shift”-“cmd”-“y” command. The result was that all but one (1) of the six (6) databases could be verified. The one which could not be verified also couldn’t be repaired since two files were missing. The “Ignore” option just ignores the problem, which still is reported on a second verify.
  5. On the Mac, only three files are reported as in 2., all belonging to the “Global Inbox”. Since nothing else seemed to be possible to perform to remedy the problem on the Mac, I restarted the iPhone.
  6. On the newly booted iPhone, again the same kind of errors as in 2. were reported, i.e. belonging to several databases. I cleared the sync errors, with the result being that only errors in the “Global Inbox” persisted. After a while, errors belonging to other databases started showing up again. Since nothing else seemed to be possible to perform to remedy the problem on the iPhone, I restarted the iPad.
  7. On the newly booted iPad, errors as indicated in 2. were cleared in the “Settings” window (the “Cloud” indicator in the bottom left panel was not indicating sync). Also, it was not possible to access the overview of the database sync status in the “iCloud (CloudKit)” in “Locations” of the “Settings” window. The App was closed (not minimized) and reopened, resulting in the “Cloud” indicator in the bottom left panel was indeed indicating sync. Again, sync errors as in 2. were indicated. Since I now couldn’t think of any other solution to the problem, logs of the three devices are submitted to the support.

All the best,
Björn

I have the support ticket now.

Great, tried to post extra information regarding related ticket numbers in each ticket. This seemed to affect only one of the tickets, though. In any case, the related tickets are:
#595305 - iPad, #113915 - iPhone, #700118 - Mac. Sorry if this was confusing.

Best regards,
Björn

Thank you for the prompt reply, it solved my problem. Sync is up again!

1 Like

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I’ve been quite vocal about sync and how unreliable it has been. The good news I’m giving 9/10 to the new cloud sync. It seems to me they nailed it this time, it works very well, and very quickly.

Now if they can just add a feature to give a crypto based version number to a synced database so we can be 100% sure there are no disk errors and the sync worked, then they get 10/10.

4 Likes

Thanks for that - I’ve seen you be quite vocal (your words, and I repeat them without malice), and I really appreciate you taking the time to give positive feedback :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It continues to work very well for me. From the experience I’ve had so far this sync is world class, as good as the best out there. Thank you DT, you cracked it.

I just started a ticket on a similar issue. If there’s an easy fix maybe you could post it?

Welcome @teresachandler

I will look for your ticket.

Thank you! I just checked my iOS devices again and the items I put into my global inbox on my Mac 20 hours ago finally showed up. Prior to that, I’d been getting the .manifest” missing of database x errors reported above. I am happy these items showed up, but am still feeling baffled.

See my response in your ticket. You may have OS issues going on.

1 Like