Newbie: localising searches

Umm, how do I tell DA that I want it to use the .uk versions of Google, Yahoo, etc. (Can I use the site:.uk) search parameter as well? Many thanks

Jonathan,

that’s not yet possible without creating modified versions of the included Google & Yahoo plugins and saving them in ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONagent/Plugins.

I’m another Newbie but using DA 2 beta. I can’t find any of the plugins in the place you suggest. If DA2 does not have plugins that allow localisation please consider this a feature request.

I was searching for information on Birmingham UK and found many hits relating to Birmingham Alabama and it was very tedious having to wade through them to find what I was looking for.

cheers,

Tacitus

The plug-in that you are looking for to modify is located inside the DA application. Do a “Show package contents” on the DA 2.0 beta application and then open “Contents>Plugins>Search” to locate the Google.plist plug-in. You can edit the plist file with TextEdit and change "http://www.google.com/search?" to http://www.google.co.uk/search?". It would also be helpful to change the following so you can identify the new plug-in in DA:

Google (Web) Plugin 1.5 ©2003-2006 DEVONtechnologies and
Searches the web using Google.com.

to something like:

Google UK (Web) Plugin 1.5 ©2003-2006 DEVONtechnologies
Searches the web using Google.co.uk.

Save the new plug-in in your home directory “~/Library/Application Support/DEVONagent/Plugins” so it does not get overwritten when you install a new release of DA.

Having said all that, the plug-in described above for Google UK will probably still turn up hits for Birmingham, Alabama. Have you tried searching the default Google plug-in using the string “Birmingham UK -Alabama -AL”? By excluding the words Alabama and AL from your search you may find the default plug-in works fine for you.

Almost forgot to mention that once you create/modify plug-ins, you will also need to create/modify search sets within DA (Tools>Edit search sets) so that you can use the new plug-in(s).

Thanks Greg. Using the string Birmingham UK -Alabama -AL gave me a better result. When modifying the search sets how do I tell it that the new plugin is in “~/Library/Application Support/DEVONagent/Plugins”? One thing about the modified plugin - will it search UK sites only?

DA will automatically find all plug-ins in your “~/Library/Application Support/DEVONagent/Plugins” folder. The new plug-in can be used to create a new or modify an existing search set, or you can use it directly from the Quick Search (click on the magnifying glass icon) menu.

The Google UK site does have an option to search only the pages from the UK. If I search for “DEVONagent” using the UK-only option, I get the following URL:

google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= … CcountryGB

However, I must confess that I am not familiar enough with the XML syntax to help you code this into your new plug-in. Perhaps Bill or Christian can offer a suggestion?