Newbie questions about default groups, etc.

I’ve been experimenting with DEVONthink PO and I want to be sure I’m not playing with a messed up structure. Based on the following, have I deleted anything of importance from my sidebar list?

The globals heading contains the global inbox (which presently contains just the “Tags” tag), a downloads folder(which seems to have been automatically created) full of some test downloads, and the global trash. What’s the default structure of the “globals” heading?

Under the “open databases” heading there appears the icon for a new database I created with an Inbox, Tags folder containing created tags, All Images smart group, All PDF document smart group, Duplicates smart group and a mobile sync icon. My question is whether any of the smart groups or the mobile sync are necessary for correct functioning or can these be created and deleted at will?

I noticed the DB Props>>rebuild>> button was greyed out for the global inbox. Does this imply that the application will rebuild this database automatically?

Should there be anything other than (or even?) “Tags” in the global inbox? It looks like this is really just supposed to be nothing but an inbox and the best practice is to do everything else in additional dedicated databases. Also, in the DTPO screen tab grid I have the global inbox. Should I put dedicated inboxes in the grid as well? Global groups, dedicated groups? What’s the best way to use this feature?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

By default, the Globals section of the sidebar contains the global Inbox and the Trash. Every database, including the global Inbox, contains a Tags group - which you should leave in place (it cannot be deleted). The Trash contains sub-trash containers for the global Inbox and every Open Database.

Newly-created databases always contain the items you mention. You can safely delete smart groups, but the Tags and Mobile Sync groups cannot be deleted. Note, that the Inbox, Tags, and Mobil Sync groups in individual databases can be renamed - which is useful when you use Sorter or DEVONthink to Go. The global Inbox does not have a Mobile Sync group because the entire global Inbox is a mobile sync group in itself.

It isn’t greyed out normally. Are you sure the button is not functioning? Rebuilding the global Inbox is normally not necessary, however.

There’s no “best practice” but many users commonly collect documents into the global Inbox and distribute them to other databases as desired. On the other hand, many users keep a quite large selection of groups and documents in the global Inbox. It’s more a matter of personal preference and workflow than prescribed usage.

I assume the “screen tab grid” is the Sorter? I believe most people add and remove groups from the Sorter depending on their projects or other things they are doing at the time. The Sorter is very useful when you want to have handy collection points for documents but do not wish to have a given database (or group), or even DEVONthink, open at the time.

Generally, the Global Inbox should be regarded as a temporary inbox for content that will be filed into another database.

Until you have firmed up your work flows after gaining experience with your databases, I advise leaving the default smart groups in place. Smart groups that are in the left sidebar cover all open databases. For example, the “Today” smart group in the left Sidebar can be used to identify content added today, regardless of which of the open databases contains the items.

The default smart groups can be recreated, if deleted, or modified at any time. Smart groups are merely saved searches.

E.g., I keep everything that I’m backlogged on reading in the global Inbox, and also must-have documents (like reservation confirmations) that will expire soon and will then be deleted.

Thanks for clearing those questions up. I’m getting a better grasp of how to use DTOP.

BTW, the rebuild feature was greyed out out for the global inbox because the necessary options had not been checked.

Thanks for the help. I’m finding that using DTOP is quickly becoming more natural with a little use.