Newbie questions about scanning (HP OfficeJet Pro 8710

Hi all. Just tried out scanning with DevonThink 3 and I have a few questions:

1. Although the paper size in File/Page Setup… is set, correctly, to “US Letter”, whenever I pick View/Import/Devices/HP OfficeJet, I have to change the paper size from A4. For each scanning session, or is there a way to set this as a preference?
  2. What is a binder (mentioned a few times in the manual, but not defined in the Glossary)?
  3. In scanning from the flatbed, is there an option to scan several documents as one PDF file? (for instance, a few pages from one book)
  4. After putting the document in the scanner, entering a name, setting the paper size, clicking “OCR”, I clicked the “Overview” button. The image from the scanner appeared; at that point, I expected to be able to select the area to be scanned but couldn’t find a way to do it; is this supported (or should the documents be cropped after scanning)?
  5. I then clicked the “Scan” button. The scanner appeared to scan, but the “Log” window opened and there was my document’s name, with info “No text”. Well… OK, maybe: this is the cover page of a booklet entitled “50 Things to Make in a Muffin Pan”. It looks like text to me, but maybe the machine views it only as an image. At any rate, I then clicked the “Save” btn (bottom of the Log window). This produced a save dialog asking for a name and a location. I did, but realized that this was to save the log, not my scanned document… Does this mean I can only scan actual text?

So anyway, I scanned the document with the HP app and imported it into DevonThink. It has been OCR’d properly as far as I can tell.

Thanks.

1. We display the page size provided by the scanner driver which should be its current setting.
  2. A Binder is basically a location where you can scan multiple pages to create a PDF document
  3. Yes create a binder then scan files to this binder. You can also add additions pages by dragging scans from the Imports page and other binders.
  4. There are two option, pre-defined size (A4, A5, US Letter, etc) or custom size. In the right hand controls there is a check box “Use Custom Size”, select this and you can resize the existing selection of make multiple selections.
  5. Was the OCR check box ticked in the right hand controls?

Sorry I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I was just about to ask a somewhat related question. I’ve been successfully scanning for years with Scansnap iX500 - but in anticipation of it not working whenever i upgrade to Catalina, I’ve been trying a different scanner (coincidently HP OfficeJet Pro 8710) and Exactscan and Vuescan.

Then I tried using the DT built-in Image Capture - and it works great with the HP 8710. But the Scansnap scanner doesn’t even show up in the list of devices (whether connected wired or wirelessly). I never had to “install” it via the Apple’s Printer/Scanner preferences - I guess because Scansnap Home installed it’s own drivers - so it doesn’t show up in Apple’s List of Scanners/Printers either. Many folks here use the same printer - and some must use the DT built-in image capture (especially now that it’s prominently featured - thanks!) - so I must be missing doing something?

Yes it was.

Thanks for the response.

But the Scansnap scanner doesn’t even show up in the list of devices (whether connected wired or wirelessly). I never had to “install” it via the Apple’s Printer/Scanner preferences - I guess because Scansnap Home installed it’s own drivers - so it doesn’t show up in Apple’s List of Scanners/Printers either.

That is correct. ScanSnap scanners have never been accessible to other applications (except those utility apps that force control over them, like Vuescan).

Good to know - thanks Jim! If/when I upgrade to Catalina and have to switch to another scanner to replace the old Scansnap, is there a way to first find out which scanners play nicely with DT3? - JimB

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Apple used to have a list of Mac compatible scanners on their site, but I think it’s gone, moved, or replaced.

A query on these forums can often yield good suggestions.

Good idea - thanks again!

1 Like