not indexing apple mail

I just did that for giggles, didn’t fix it.
I forgot to mention in my list of things above that I had also done the delete the mail sandbox containers and restart trick… That hasn’t fixed it either.

It’s only on my MacBook Air … The imac doesn’t have this trouble.

Oh, I upgraded DSE to 1.6.2 per the instructions above (I had the apple app store version prior)

I’m reluctant to think this problem is caused by DevonSphere – I think it’s some mavericks issue.

That’s right, indexing of emails does currently not work on Mavericks due to incompatibilities of the Spotlight mdimporter plugin. We’re still trying to work around this issue.

Thanks, Christian!

What bothers me about this bug is that Spotlight can find emails, but why doesn’t mail app?

Seems as if whatever is stopping mail app from finding emails is the same thing stopping DevonSphere. It is as if spotlight has a privilege that the other apps don’t – there’s obviously an index there for spotlight to use, so why can’t the other apps?

It’s a different issue actually. Both Spotlight and DEVONsphere Express use their own index. However, the Spotlight plugin (/System/Library/Spotlight/Mail.mdimporter) for emails is compatible to Spotlight of course but not anymore to DEVONsphere Express on Mavericks.

Ok. That makes more sense. Now I’m confused because the devonbot log located in my user library/application support folder shows that DevonSphere traversed the mail folders and had the correct message count, but when I watch the preference pane update, the count does not include the messages…

So the log shows 94000 items, but the preference pane shows 27000… So the log knows the messages are there.

I’m still confused because mail.app can’t show messages either.

I was able to confirm that my iMac (which is also 10.9.2) works as expected – mail shows up in DSE and all.

the problem is only on the macbook air…

Was the initial index of DEVONsphere Express created with an older release of Mac OS X? Does the index really include & find the latest emails?

It was. I had the App Store version (which I bought the day it was released) until yesterday. All I did was install 1.6.2 from the website over it.

I’ve told it to reindex twice, but what file locations should I trash to make a clean start? And if I do that, will it mess up the licensing?

I finally understand what you are telling me – mavericks broke the “pipeline” for devonsphere.

meanwhile, reinstalling mavericks (the nuclear option) from my recovery partition fixed the mail.app search.

I had also deleted everything except for the _receipt file, deleted from the applications folder, and reinstalled 1.6.2 and now my log no longer shows the 97,000 and 127,000 file counts it did before.

so, the ability to see the higher file counts might have been an anomaly caused by the broken mavericks install. dang.