Note Taking App

I am mostly interested in syncing my Obsidian vault to an encrypted remote location, like my DT WebDav location.

But I often use Obsidian and DTTG on my iPad, so that would need to work for iPads too.
Need to test around :slight_smile:

(And no, iCloud does not fit my description on “encrypted”)

ok. (note that I just edited the above to add a view of the Obsidian vault with the example after Hazel ported it over)

1 Like

Yes you’re right, I was wring in that. iA writer is a nice app. I recently came across MWeb, which looks interesting and clean. It’s multiplatform and a one time purchase.

My collection of iOS / iPadOS editors:

Drafts
Textastic
iA Writer
Taio

Still in evaluation:

iWriter pro
MWeb

Sorted away for now:

1Writer
MDNotes
Koder
Byword
GTW
iVim
Bear
Kodex

Those may have some special abilities that could come in handy, so I did not yet delete them.

1 Like

A new find for me is NotePlan, which is included in the SetApp collection. It combines a calendar-based interface with the ability to enter separate notes that are independent from the calendar.

I’ve taken to using Joplin because I work on a Windows PC as well and need somewhere to put notes that are accessible to my Mac (it syncs with some clouds) and are MD, which is the format I use in DTP. I usually just copy paste between the two applications, but the files are there if I want drag them into a database.

I use Drafts on Mac and iPhone as a dumping ground and selectively move notes or copy text from there into DTP.

Drafts on the phone is more direct than DTTG, and I’m not fond of using the phone as anything more than a conduit through which to pass things to DTP.

For formal note taking on the Mac, I use DTP.

1 Like

Depending on what I’m doing:

• On macOS : a combination of DTP, BBEdit and Ulysses
  • On iOS: Drafts and Ulysses
1 Like

I’ve tried lots of applications, but always come back to Scrivener.

3 Likes

+1

Can you add detail on the “more direct”
For new notes, I have a shortcut on my home screen that takes me directly to a DTTG note

1 Like

More habitual, then. & when a note is just a link via sharing into Drafts, it’s a snip. It (Drafts) is full of junk too, of course, but that’s fine because that’s how I use it. DTP is curated, containing my meaningful things.

I can relate to that perfectly :slight_smile:

Similarly to what is described by others in this thread, I have 3 main note-taking/workflow apps. They are all inter-connected, and 2 of them are working off proper E2E encrypted folders that sync:

• Drafts (iOS/macOS)
  • Obsidian (completely cross-platform incl Win/Linux)
  • Devonthink/DTTG (iOS/macOS)

I’m slowly transitioning over to Markdown notes – I’m a university professor; I take a lot of notes – but I’m still mostly using OmniOutliner, the best outline processor available now, probably on any platform. I’ve used pretty much every outline processor for the Mac since the days of Acta and MORE in the mid-80s, but have relied nearly exclusively on OO for the last decade. It’s nimble, very flexible, and – because it’s from Omni – it’s rock-solid and deeply Mac-faithful. I’ve got an archive now of many hundreds (thousands?) of individual files, and every set of lecture notes for my classes going back twenty years is in, or has been converted into, OO. It’s going to be hard to move from that legacy and, to be honest, I’m very attached to the ways that tools like OO allow one to organize and re-organize complex documents hierarchically, collapse and expand visible structure, focus on nodes in structure, etc. I can’t do that with the current crop of Markdown tools, which seem to me better suited to shorter, freeform note-taking. For that, these days, I use either DT or Drafts.

That said, OO files are easily indexed into DEVONthink and easily read; so it’s trivial to locate an OO file that contains something I’m looking for. Searching within an OO file opened in DT is only partly supported in “Text Alternative” view – some stuff just doesn’t show up, and I can’t figure out why. (Converting OO to rtf solves that problem but, again, there’s the legacy issue: I’m not going to be able to convert and tweak hundreds or thousands of files.)

I don’t expect DT to be able to edit OO files but, wow, better support for searching inside them is probably at the top of my list of wished for DT improvements.

5 Likes

You could have a look at iThoughts, @tharpold

This is a MindMapping software for iPad, Mac and PC …

And it can open MarkDown documents - and see them as document tree!

That’s just fantastic for outlines and MarkDown files in general!
Much better than OmniOutliner in my option, as you can fold and open in totally new ways.

I think, it is free for a trial

And it can search across all maps in one go(heck even on iOS). This is such a basic feature I gasp it’s not available in OO from V1 .

I use Drafts for quick capture as well. I don’t know anything about shortcuts and DTTG. I have Drafts on my home bar - I press the icon, and am editing a blank markdown page. It’s the fastest, most straightforward way I’ve found to capture text on my iPhone.

I have the sort of brain where if I have to do any navigating to a folder, pick among various icons / actions, etc, then I can forget what I was going to write. So pressing one button and typing the thing is perfect for me.

If you have that same kind of setup another way, cool :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I use Drafts on both Mac and iPhone. From there I move items to DEVONthink, or wherever else they ought to go. I sometimes make lists in Drafts, or compose emails – it has the value of speed, and not thinking about what name to give to a file, or indeed where it ought to end up, until you have captured the thoughts you had. Like Pat, I can’t afford to delay, because I have reached an age at which short-term working memory is unreliable, and if I don’t move fast I will forget what I was intending to do, or the thought that I had. Instant capture is critical to me.

1 Like

Thanks, Prashant, for this suggestion. I’ll take a look at iThoughts. In general I find mindmapping apps unwieldy for complex outlining and note-taking; it’s just not possible to get a handle on all of the text and interrelations between parts of a document unless you’re using a very big monitor. That said, I do use them from time to time – I use MindNode for this, though it leaves much to be desired – to lay out the general structure of a project and for freeform brainstorming. But maybe it’s my training as a literary historian that leads to my dissatisfaction with mindmapping: few of these apps really process text as well as an app that was designed for that. I’m intrigued by something like Obsidian, which seems to integrate both text editing and mapping with sophistication. I did work a while with Tinderbox – I have a long history with hypertext scholarship – but I eventually gave up on it. I admired that application’s nuance, depth, and power, really, Mark Bernstein has done brilliant work – if you’re looking for a tool that very nearly realizes Ted Nelson’s most extraordinary claims for hypertext, Tinderbox is probably it right now – but I found it too fiddly: the many ways of looking at and manipulating notes that it offers led to my playing with views of my information a little too much, rather than getting on with writing to deadline, as I must often do.

1 Like

I absolutely agree, this is one of my complaints which lead me to look into alternatives , my mind maps became downright nightmarish . It’s one of the reason I looked into Tinderbox myself.

I’m actively learning/trying to use Tinderbox myself for over a year . It’s downright genius on part of Mark Bernstein to have created on tool which can do so much. I’m using it currently for simple outlining, little bit of maps . It does require some commitment. Don’t give up on it !

I maybe be using 3% of what TB offers but it’s community is absolutely amazing. There’s no question I’ve asked gone unanswered , they host weekly meet-ups every Saturday. I must mention Mark Anderson (TB long term user) who puts so much thoughts in replying to question plus Micheal Becker(another TB user) has made informative free videos about usage of TB which helped me understand quite a lot.

(I’m their n00b fanboy as you can )

Me too but the number of changes happening to it is just so damn scary for me , plus I can’t figure how to use outlining in it. I looked at RoamResearch last year for 2 months and what a mess it became to get any meaningful report out of it.