Drafts 5 export to DevonThink with tags?

This is not working in Drafts on macOS for me.

For me it is not working either…

The latest version Drafts supports actions I believe, so it may be possible soon.

Bill

It seems that DevonThink 3 for mac does not support x-callback-url BUT it does support “URL commands”. To make this action works on macOS just remove the x-callback-url/ part.

The action should look like

x-devonthink://createText?title=[[title]]&text=[[body]]&tags=[[tags]]

For more information search for “URL commands” in DevonThink help inside the app.

1 Like

Correct and thanks or the pointer to the documentation.

et al:

The distinction if noted in the Help regarding URL commands (i.e., the URL scheme)

Hi, all. Can anyone describe how to modify Drafts’ built-in “Make Note in Devonthink” action so that it also imports tags?

Never mind! I didn’t realize it was already doing this.

I’m curious why you don’t just make the note in DEVONthink To Go from the beginning. :thinking:

Drafts has some features for note-taking that DTTG does not. It’s very fast to get to typing from starting the app, there’s really no delay. It also has an “auto note” feature that easily starts a new note for you. I like the way it displays markdown natively. And the sync is not fussy at all — it works quickly and smoothly across all of my devices, I never have to futz with it. I love that notes sync seemingly as soon as I start typing.

Drafts is purpose-built and nails the experience.

It’s very fast to get to typing from starting the app, there’s really no delay. It also has an “auto note” feature that easily starts a new note for you.

What’s the delay in creating a note in DEVONthink To Go?

Drafts: one tap on the icon, Drafts opens immediately to a new, empty note.
DTTG: tap on the icon, FaceID (sure, I could leave out this step, but in my case DTTG and Drafts have different contents with different security requirements), DTTG opens to wherever I last was, tap back to Global Inbox, tap on +, select note type.

Drafts is an amazingly streamlined way to take notes. Nothing else, but that one thing it does really well for me. As posted by @unclecrabby in a previous thread:

I also agree with this sentiment:

Data protection requirements mean that I sync a number of DT/DTTG database via Bonjour only. The contents of my Drafts don’t have that requirement, so sync seamlessly via the cloud.

To me none of that reflects negatively on DT/DTTG. Drafts is that pile of paper I used to have with little notes scribbled all over - just much better. DT is my enormous shiny filing cabinet, the pride and joy of my office - just much better.

1 Like

:thinking:

Accepted, and I wasn’t aware. It remains less immediate that Drafts, however. I mean, honestly, we are talking a second or two - but the Drafts experience of note taking kind of pings with me in a way that DTTG note taking doesn’t. But neither did Notes, and that’s even more difficult to explain objectively. The other points I made remain valid of course. There is a noticeable dose of personal preference here, and I must admit I was sceptical of Drafts and what I was going to be paying for it. But somehow. Anyway, not to worry, if I could only have the one or the other, it’d be DT all day long :slight_smile:

1 Like

And Sync is more automatic/bulletproof/reliable with Drafts. Drafts sync “just works.” With DTTG even with a think sync, it seems it always has to sync when I start the app and it can take quite some time.

1 Like

I kind of liked drafts until I stumbled upon the fact that it imprisons my data. Or, to put it less dramatically: it stores everything in its own data structure away from finder and the file system.
Which doesn’t sit well with me because I need my data in different apps, sometimes even in Emacs (shudder).
That might explain why the sync “just works”.

But there are a billion ways to get your data out of Drafts - plus ways to write your own Actions if something is missing.

1 Like

I agree to everything that was said about *Drafts"—it’s great for typing immediately, the additional keyboard row that can hold various things from just often needed characters to whole scripts is a blessing.

And their tagline “Where Text Starts” is simply true. The idea is not to use it as an input app for just one other app like DEVONthink but for a whole bunch of them, if not all. Writing an E-Mail with the first paragraph as the subject line is an out-of-the-box feature but it could also be a mail to a recurring recipient. Or not just a note to DEVONthink but to a specific group in a specific database including tags or something like that.

Sadly, “Where Text Ends” is not totally wrong for the Mac version. Like @chrillek said, the notes in Drafts are locked in its database. Which I might find acceptable if getting the notes out was as simple as getting them in. But batch export/share/actions are a pain.

Which is sad and the reason—I have mentioned it here more than once and want to assure you that I have no business relation to its programmer—why I switched to 1Writer. Function wise kind of Drafts light but also tap to write plus customizable extra keyboard row with some scripts possible. And it saves to iCloud or Dropbox folders which DEVONthink can index. Saving to DEVONthink To Go still does only work manually, not as a default. Which might be an iOS/iPadOS restriction.

@Bluefrog, as others have said, Drafts is built as the place “where text starts.” It’s purpose-built for that function. I use it for drafting emails, notes I don’t need to hold on to, and notes I know I’ll need to hold on to. Often if I don’t have a pen handy I’ll just pick up my iPhone or iPad and within a couple of seconds am taking the note.

The interface is also very clean and customizable, reminiscent of minimalist writing apps.

DTTG has it’s place and purpose as a storage mechanism, but for me there is a bit too much friction there to use it for everyday note-taking. Same goes for Devonthink Pro.

Download Drafts and give it a spin! The experience is slick and fuss-free.

Oh I’ve tried it, and on more than one occasion. It’s no offense to Greg or anyone who likes it, but it’s never stuck with me. :slight_smile:

I’m aware that it is possible to get the data out of Drafts. What bothers me is that I have to get it out before I can work with it outside of drafts.

I’m an old Unix person, used to pipes and small tools for small tasks than can be chained together. Having a text in a proprietary database goes against that „philosophy“ and I prefer working with iawriter, Emacs, visual studio code etc.

2 Likes