OCR Images that already in the database?

Hi,

I’m new to DevonThink so please bare with me. I’ve imported a bunch of documents and had DevonThink OCR all the pdf files - amazing! Now I realize I have a few jpeg scans that I’d like OCRed too. I can’t find an easy way to do that though…

I’ve tried using the menu option File -> Import -> Images (with OCR), but that takes me to the file menu, so I need to find the file that’s already in the database. It works, but it’s really painful.

It seems like this should be an obvious option in the right-click menu to me, but perhaps I did something wrong that got me out of a normal flow?

Thanks,
Anil

You should see right-click > Convert > To Searchable PDF

Hi there - I am new to this. I always take screenshots on. the go and upload to dttg

I would like images uploaded to be (automated, I hope) to be converted such that key words will be found.

For my use case what will be the best option?

Should the images remain images or be converted to PDF?

Could it be automated?

You didn’t answer this question:

1 Like

Sorry, missed that. I do not want them to be images but converted to pdf.

I can see that under OCR > Convert them to searchable pdf and I am wondering if this can be done under DTTG or if not can it be automated in DT3 to pdf.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

This is how I do it in DEVONthink 3.8.4. There are surely other ways that may suit you better. See the outstanding “DEVONthink Handbook” to learn about Smart Rules.

You can use Convert > to Searchable PDF in the contextual menu of DEVONthink To Go when you long-press a file or the organize menu - the encircled ellipsis icon.

In that case you could store the OCR results as a comment, see Data > OCR menu or OCR action of smart rules.