OCR problems - conversion progress not appearing

Another related problem is that the activity window disappears whenever it isn’t the active window - unlike the Devonthink window, which remains.

Also, I am getting this error a lot when trying to do OCR:

Screenshot 2021-12-11 at 22.36.18

I don’t have any license pages remaining??

You may want to check out this thread:

Are you running the trial still?

Not running the trial any more. I purchased DT Pro some days ago.

I followed the instructions in the thread posted above, but I am still getting the same problem:

Screenshot 2021-12-12 at 12.10.37

It seems to work for a certain number of pages, then stops working and gives me that error. It says “license pages remaining”, so do we need to pay for a kind of license? It does seem to happen after I’ve done a good number of pages.

I searched here for “ocr license” and found OCR "license pages remaining: 0" - #3 by banshee which may help.

Thanks, but that is the same link that @xurc posted above, and it didn’t work for me.

Could the conversion progress not appearing be independent of the PDF functions?

I use things like the new check file integrity script all the time. Also, verify and optimize databases, plus a couple of scripts of my own that act on all open databases.

The progress bar doesn’t always appear. The best indicator that a script is finished is to see if the script menu entries are grayed out or not.

Did you read the full thread I posted? The solution is indeed a temporary fix, you have to delete ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink/Abbyy every time the error occurs.

No. It’s a bug in ABBYY’s library and they’re already aware of it (source).

I did read the thread which you kindly posted; indeed I had commented on that thread also. It wasn’t clear to me from the thread however that the solution was just a temporary fix. I’m surprised that I’m unable to let the OCR run overnight due to this problem, and have to delete and reinstall the OCR component every day. Considering the cost of the software I had expected the OCR to work without issues.

It is indeed very frustrating. Although in DEVONtechnologies’ defense, there’s little they could do to alleviate the frustration since the bug is in ABBYY’s software library.

Thanks @xurc . Maybe consideration should be given to a different OCR API if ABBYY isn’t up to the job.

Sure but that’s also like considering rewiring part of your house. Is such a project doable? Sure. Easily and quickly done? Nope.

No worries, I am troubled by this issue too, after all. :smiley:

As for switching to another OCR solution, besides Jim’s point on the huge development undertaking, I would wager many customers would be unhappy about it too, since its OCR output quality is one of the best.

2 Likes

Yes, all valid points. Just a pain to download a 750MB file every morning on an unstable connection. :neutral_face:

Indeed. In the ~17 days since I upgraded to DEVONthink Pro during Black Friday, I have already downloaded it something like eight to ten times too, sometimes tethered to my iPhone hotspot. Fingers crossed ABBYY get their act together reasonably soon.

1 Like

I’ve kept trying here, but can’t even OCR a single document before it fails. The document is around 150 pages so it does take a long time.

Does the OCR require an active internet connection to work? It seemed to fail at around the same time that my connection dropped, though it began to refresh RSS feeds at that time also, which would obviously fail.

No.

Our OCR guy is on a well-deserved long weekend and will be back tomorrow.

1 Like

Are you still getting the same licence error?