OCR problems - conversion progress not appearing

Yes, all valid points. Just a pain to download a 750MB file every morning on an unstable connection. :neutral_face:

Indeed. In the ~17 days since I upgraded to DEVONthink Pro during Black Friday, I have already downloaded it something like eight to ten times too, sometimes tethered to my iPhone hotspot. Fingers crossed ABBYY get their act together reasonably soon.

1 Like

I’ve kept trying here, but can’t even OCR a single document before it fails. The document is around 150 pages so it does take a long time.

Does the OCR require an active internet connection to work? It seemed to fail at around the same time that my connection dropped, though it began to refresh RSS feeds at that time also, which would obviously fail.

No.

Our OCR guy is on a well-deserved long weekend and will be back tomorrow.

1 Like

Are you still getting the same licence error?

Hi @aedwards - thanks for reaching out. I’m still receiving the error, though over the last day or so I’ve been able to get through more documents before receiving the error. There was one document in particular that was very slow to OCR, and the error would occur before the scan of that document could be completed. Other documents have OCR’d faster, though the error still occurs after a certain number of documents. So I am unable to leave the process running overnight for example, as the error will occur after an hour or two.

The error you are getting is an issue we have raised with ABBYY several times, and is related to their licensing module. If you can enable OCR logging and send me a copy of the OCR log, I will forward this to ABBYY.

To enable OCR logging:

• Quit DEVONthink3
  • InFinder select the menu Go->Go to Folder, copy and paste the line below and press Go.
  • Copy the file OCR.plist (274 Bytes) to this folder
  • Restart DEVONthink3

The next time you get the error message can you send a copy of the OCRLog.txt file that will be in the same folder as above.

Whilst we cannot control when this error occurs, we have added a workaround that aims to limit the number of occurrences of the error. This workaround is run on start up so quitting and restarting DEVONthink 3 will clear the last ABBYY error and reset their temporary files.