OCR: Some PDF files don't convert to searchable PDF

Hi there,
I receive some PDF which DevonThink’s OCR can’t convert to searchable PDF.
The queue says ‘Adding files to’ (German: Füge Datei hinzu…), but nothing happens.

Has anyone a clue, what’s behind or how to debug or circumvent this “feature”. I don’t like to print to paper and scan it with my scanner myself…

PS: I suppose that these scans originally have been photos made with the smaprtphone and save as PDF.

Thanks for helping me.

Which version of DEVONthink and macOS do you use? And do you use a Mac with Intel or Apple processor?

• DevonThink 3.9.4
  • MacOs Sonoma 14.1
  • MacBook 16" 2019 INTER Core i7

PS: Will test is with my Mac mini M1 the next days, which is not yet upgraded to MacOS Sonoma 14.1

PS: Will test is with my Mac mini M1 the next days, which is not yet upgraded to MacOS Sonoma 14.1

Yes, please let us know the results on the M1.

Hi all,
tested OCR on my Mac mini M1. What should I say? It’s working!!!

• DevonThink 3.9.2
  • MacOs Ventura 13.5.2
  • Mac mini 2020 M1

This will stopp me upgrading the Mac mini, too. I’ll wait until OCR is working with my MacBook.

Do you use the same settings on both machines (see Preferences > OCR)?

Yes, exactly.

And the same version of the OCR helper is installed? See folder ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Abbyy?

You are right. these directories look different.

Mac mini: DTOCRhelper Version 1.1.24 - working versio/installation
MacBook: DTOCRhelper Version 1.1.21 - old version!

How Do I reinstall/update Abbyy? In DT > Addons ơn MacBok Abbyy is checked and grey. Can I force DT to reinstall or download it somewhere?

I believe 1.1.18 is the Intel version. Need to go get an Intel Mac and check. That being said, here are manual instructions for reinstalling the OCR engine…

1. Quit DEVONthink.
  2. In the Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste: ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3 .
  3. Move the ABBYY folder to your Desktop and relaunch DEVONthink.
  4. Select DEVONthink 3 > Install Add-ons… and reinstall the ABBYY Finereader OCR.
  5. Quit and relaunch DEVONthink.
1 Like

Perfect - it re-installed version 1.1.18 and the fist few pdf were converted with Abby OCR.

Many thanks from the Southwest of Germany - that was a quick help, I really appreciate.

You’re very welcome from the US :smiley: