Odd underlining in some notes

I’ve got a persistent problem in some of my notes. For some reason certain words are underlined in red. I’ve tried to delete them and re-type to ensure I didn’t create some sort of style that was causing it.

Finally today somehow on at least one of them I managed to see a small popup “Consider instead” with a potential replacement word in the middle.

The instances are things like week is what I want and weak is what was suggested even though in a line above week is not flagged this way. Another one was of was flagged and the suggestion was off which is totally incorrect in that place.

Where are these suggestions coming from?
Why aren’t they consistent and always showing up?
How do I either turn the entire thing of or force a recognition that the word as I have it is correct?

I can’t find anything in preferences that indicates this at all.

A screen capture could be helpful.

I can’t do a screen capture as the popup disappears as soon as I move the mouse to capture it. It’s positions below the word(s) in question and I have tried multiple times to get it captured using several different tools but no luck. I’ve got another option to try of doing a full screen capture and then editing to clip the piece in question. Some of the info is proprietary so I can’t really send a full screen capture.

Was able to get it using a full screen then photoshop to edit to show the issue.

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 8.31.00 AM

This is just one example, it occurs in several other rich text notes. No rhyme or reason for why in some and not others.

That’s controlled by spelling and grammar.
Disable Preferences > Editing > Check spelling while typing, Check grammar while typing.

I have check grammar turned off

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 8.50.44 AM

Uncheck both.

OK So no way to check spelling only? It’s implied with 2 preferences that they are independent.

And in any case in all places where there is the suggestion it is correct grammar.

They are independent and it’s considered a spelling issue. And we don’t control the spellchecking or grammar functions.

I’m confused then. The words are spelled correctly and used correctly in the sentence where they appear. Why are they being flagged? If the message is that it’s grammar and I have grammar turned off why is it still checking grammar and using incorrect rules? I want to have spellcheck, because I make lots of typos that spellcheck will catch. I don’t want grammar checking. If they are independent then it shouldn’t be flagging incorrect grammar when that option i s turned off.

As I said, we don’t control the spellchecking or grammar functions.
I have things incorrectly noted as spelling errors in macOS and iOS, detected by Apple’s frameworks.

I just ignore any marked as such.

PS: You can always use options in the Edit > Spelling and Grammar menu to check documents, regardless of the settings in the preferences.

I get that you don’t control their algorithms. But aren’t you in control of when to call them?

@cgrunenberg would have to comment on the deeper details.

That’s completely handled by macOS, DEVONthink just en- or disables it depending on your preferences.

Check the language setting in the macOS System Preferences > Keyboard > Text preference pane. Sometimes macOS spellcheck goes wonky until a specific language (I assume U.S. English here) is set in the preferences.

Check the language setting in the macOS System Preferences > Keyboard > Text preference pane. Sometimes macOS spellcheck goes wonky until a specific language (I assume U.S. English here) is set in the preferences.

I’ll give that a shot, thanks. It was set to automatic by language

Yes, the spelling is correct. You know that, I know that, but … apparently Apple uses some kind of spell checker that thinks otherwise. There’s nothing you can do about that – it’s a false negative, and one of the reasons why I hardly ever use spell checking.

And yes, you can check spelling only. But that does not prevent false negatives. It’s just an algorithm, and it’s as fallible as humans. Or maybe more so.

1 Like