Off-topic question

It’s very common for things like this to go unnoticed or unchallenged. People are generally watching a movie for entertainment only. And many people (myself included) are none the wiser.

As much as I hate Google, you should watch the "Such and so an occupation watchs movies about their field of expertise videos on YouTube.

1 Like

Coming from a native speaker, that’s an eye-opening reply. :slight_smile:

Actually, I’m US born and bred. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry!

I can’t really tell on this forum since everybody answers in German all the time…

That video is very entertaining. Thanks!

You’re welcome and worries. Many people assume it due to my last name as well. I’m German and Irish by heritage but born and live in the US.

2 Likes

You’re welcome. They didn’t have DeepL then :wink: I would recommend this app for translations in case you are using Google.

Also, sometimes there are exceptions to the doesn’t matter, good enough rule @BLUEFROG mentioned. One I remember is the show Counterpart. I haven’t watched all of it, but some scenes in which J.K. Simmons speaks German are flawless. It’s practically accent-free, something I’ve never heard before by an American actor. Not that I mind actually – most people have some sort of accent after all – it was just very impressive.

That’s interesting, I see so many German sounding names when looking up actors on IMDb and also learned that German is the largest ancestry group in the US. I never knew…

That’s an interesting map for sure.

And indeed, there are some movie-makers who strive for more perfection. In a movie like Die Hard (which is still an awesome flick! :heart:), I think the explosions and gunfire minimize the effect of a lack of perfect German :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t mind that at all, just notice it when it’s really well done, like in the show I mentioned. I watch everything undubbed and prefer English as a language anyway. Funnily enough, American dialects that are apparently disliked in America, I find to be the most beautiful. The southern varieties in the show Justified or the West Virginian (emulated by the protagonist) in Clarice are amazing.

1 Like

Well, this thread makes me feel a little more comfortable about the slightly off-topic one about 1Password 8! :rofl:

Prost!

Stephen

5 Likes

I wanted to reply about 1Password8 without reading your topic on it first. I use 1Password (7) and have thought it was the best program out there for so long. But, now, with the 1Password8 - “you MUST pay to put your most personal data on our servers or forget it” model - I’m done with this program! Since I’m a mac user, I’ve migrated to KeepassXC. I refuse to be bullied into where I must store my data and have only a subscription option to boot.

Keeping Devonthink in the conversation a bit here, I’m impressed there are always perpetual purchase options as well as subscriptions. I don’t mind paying for good software so DT has always been a painless purchase.

Finally I wanted to ask folks if these (expensive) sites like Lingoda are worth it for learning German? Very expensive. Right now, I’m slogging through my old German text book from College (the book is so old it has “schreibmachine” and "Fraülein). But, it’s a complete two semester course I took a long while back so I know I, well, knew it once. Not sure this is the path to fluency but at least I’m not spending $200/month for some online option.
It’s been too long since I lived or visited Germany for that to be any help. I am trying to find some local people who speak German but that’s proving to be difficult. Spanish? Sure, no problem, but German is a different story.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

1 Like

I’m using the translate app by Apple. It seems to do a decent job, but I don’t think I could get idiomatic expressions (barely know any yet!) like “Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.”.

I’m with you on Google!

Ich bin Google-frei.

That’s probably not the correct idomatic way of saying it… :cry:

It’s actually Fr_äu_lein and Schreibma_s_chine :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Regardless, I liked Babble for learning Turkish and some Russian. I don’t know if they offer German courses, but at least their offices are in Berlin.

1 Like

Oops, thanks for that. I should have looked it up first before just typing it in but I was feeling confident after all the great replies from native speakers and just went for it! :slight_smile:

The last time I heard Fräulein was in “Raiders of the Lost Arc” with the stereotypical German bad guy from that era. From what I’ve read, nobody uses Fräulein any more than we use “Miss” in the US.

I’ve heard that Babble’s approach (flash cards, etc.) really isn’t the best way to learn German. Not sure slogging through my old college text book is that great either but I’m spending 30 minutes a day watching “Tageshau” (spelling?) - German news on TV. I can get the basic gist, but it’s still too fast for me to really understand much. A bit frustrating, but you work with what you have…

I really appreciate your reply. Thanks!

It has been prohibited in official communication somewhen in the 70s. Using it today would probably be considered offensive by most women. The only usage I know of is when someone is telling off a young girl like “Fräulein, mach’ das nicht!” (Young lady, don’t you dare…)

Of course it’s not. The best way is to be a baby and be talked to every day in German. But given that that’s probably out of the question for you – Babble has a free trial period. In my experience, it was a lot more then only flashcards, I seem to remember a fair amount of listening and speaking exercises.

Tages_sc_hau. View of the day, kind of. Your spelling is more like “hit the day”. I found watching Netflix flicks helpful for eg brushing up my Spanish. You can adjust the speed, and the language is what real people are speaking.

Tagesschau is far removed from colloquial German. But if you want to get into German politics (we’re looking for a successor of Frau Merkel!), Tagesschau is fine.

2 Likes

LOL … Sie haben einen großartigen Sinn für Humor. (Maybe “toll” used more?)

I’m learning so much from your great replies, thank you!

Tagesschau is the only German programming I’ve been able to find thus far on my Roku. Not really what I was looking for as I’m sure you can imagine. Your comments on that are also useful and interesting.

Thanks again!

Try the DeepL app or website. It’s years ahead of Google’s and Apple’s translations, at least for English/German (I haven’t tested others). It will recognize idioms, like the one you mentioned.

4 Likes

Yep, I bookmarked it. It’s great (“toll”).

BTW, this site below (Germanpod101) looks pretty good. The URL referenced below has a comparison with a couple other sites:

Learn German

I’m hopeful that this 101 site plus slogging through my old German text book (which is actually good for grammar refresher) will get me to fluency in a year or so. That’s my current plan, anyway. Will need to find some German folks to practice with, eventually also. The premium plus plan at pod101 includes 1-1 with a German teacher so that sounds promising.

Thanks!!

1 Like