Open pdf in Preview or Skim automatically

Is there a way to specify that certain file types (pdf) be opened by other applications (Preview or Skim) when the file is clicked on? I’m new to devonthink, but so far I think that those programs offer much greater functionality with pdf files.

(I’m aware that I can crtl-click or left-click and scroll to a desired application, but this is quite slow)

You can add a button to your toolbar that will open the record(s) in the default app.

I had the same question. It’d be nice to be able to associate some key combination with a click to do this. I guess it’s not hard. Once you tell the Finder that the default application for pdf is Skim, Devonthink knows this and puts it at the top of the list. I presume there’s some way of associating the “Open With” command with a key combination.
Alas, I don’t know what it is.

Declan

Thanks for the assist kalisphoenix, it’s not as quick as I’d like, but it works.

Hopefully newer versions will have better Skim/Preview integration, or a more feature rich devonthink pdf viewer.

Maybe I’m missing something here, but isn’t this just Cmd-Shift-O?

It is indeed. Good catch.

Thank you, thank you!

I’ve been sitting back waiting for someone to offer this. That command will open a document under the application that’s defined in the Finder as the parent application.

I’ve often confessed that I cannot remember scores of keyboard commands, apparently unlike those people who dislike ever touching a mouse or trackpad. Anyway, this one comes in Data > Open With > Default application. Yes, this keyboard shortcut has been in DT 1.x for some time.

Now I’m wondering about the memory of the “shortcutters”. Ha! :slight_smile:

Glad to be of help, folks (and to be quoted by the semi-legendary Bill :wink: ). Indeed, I must confess to being one of those people who will always take a key-press over a click.

Oh, in situations like these, for those who don’t know: on Leopard, simply typing an approximation of the command your after (e.g., in this case, “Open” would suffice) into Help–>Search in any application will pull up a list of all commands containing that word/phrase, allowing you to quickly glean the keyboard shortcut, if there is one. This has proved invaluable to me on countless occasions.

I find shortcuts to be sufficiently useful only when I’m performing a lot of repetitive actions – in which case, I just want a list of shortcuts to be easy to find.

For an automatic listing of all keyboard shortcuts try KeyCue ergonis.com/products/keycue/