Opening a database in read-only mode, always?

I have some data that is quite static.
And even more, I would only change things on the Mac, in DEVONthink, but never ever on an iDevice.
(For example for indexed content that depends on a folder on Mac)

So, is there an option to open a database in DTTG in read-only mode?
And always automatically open it in read-only mode?

If not, that would be a GREAT thing to add :slight_smile:

P.S. I searched the PDF for “read-only” but could not find anything.
The same feature would also be nice for DEVONthink, but less important to me.

1 Like

This isn’t possible currently but might be in future releases.

2 Likes

Thanks.

This may be a useful feature for a database that got indexed on a Mac, so that it is closely related to a folder on that Mac.

Changes done with DTTG would not be mirrored back to that folder, contrary to what normally happens on the Mac.

So, changes with DTTG could lead to problems, even corruption.

A way to prevent that would be great :hugs:
Just giving some thoughts…

I would use this for my “Archive” databases, looks like a good idea

2 Likes

Is this feature something that’s under investigation?
I think it would also be very useful to speed up (analyses before) synchronization (on DTTG).

Regards,
Maik

A read-only mode would be great for sharing with, for instance, a partner who doesn’t use the computer very much…good use of the second seat on the DTP license for individual users and possibly useful to server owners as well (though maybe DTP server allows setting a database to read only).

No, there is no specific plans for this at this time.

I think it would also be very useful to speed up (analyses before) synchronization (on DTTG).

In what way?

In the the way that read-only DBs could be skipped for further analysis and syncing when the flag is available on the sync location.

Another implementation (maybe even better implementation) would be to check for a local flag. If it’s set to read-only the database should be treated that way, until a user chooses to remove the flag. In that case the databases should first (re)sync ‘online to local’ and after that become writable again. Now it’s possible to leave DTTG databases open for reference, but without frequent updates.

Regards,
Maik

A read-only mode on an iPhone or iPad would be desirable. On these devices, you can very easily accidentally swipe a folder without even noticing it right away…

Simply swiping is not enough for deletion, I think. You’d have to click on the trash afterwards, too.

1 Like

I know

And what?

Do you check any and all content of the trash if you realy realy want to trash it?

No, you just trash it - including everything that may be there by mistake.

A read-only mode is an old and valid wish!

How would one sync from a read-write DB on one machine to a read-only one on another? There is already a “locked” mode for groups and files. Maybe that helps (I don’t know if that status is synced and what it entails on i*OS).

As to throwing away things in the trash: There’s no r/o trash, either. Backups are there for this kind of mishap. By “click on the trash” I didn’t mean to actually click and empty the trash – on i*OS, you swipe left, then a trash icon appears on the right, and you click that to move the file to the trash. Just like with Mail, e.g.

Don’t understand.
What has the synchronization to do with a read-only database?
The read-only would be to make sure that no local changes can happen - of course remote changes would be unaffected…

I also don’t get your point about the trash.
Anyways…

If it’s really read-only, synching would not be possible. If it’s only „locally“ read-only, a group/file deleted on another machine would be deleted, too.
I’m not arguing against the idea. I’m asking about the concrete behavior that’s desired.

@chrillek is correct on the assessment. A deleted file is in the Trash unless you explicitly empty the Trash.

Also, if there are items in the Trash, you can left-swipe and put the item back in its previous place…

Great tip! Thank you.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

That’s a fact and thanks for the reminder, but does nothing against a wrongly trashed file - or you would need to check your trash bin very close to make sure that it contains nothing that should not be deleted

It was always only meant to have the local database be read-only against (accidential) local changes.

Remote sync changes should work, of course:

I often use iDevices to read and don’t intent to change or add things at all - being sure that this cannot happen, would be great!

Just like I only open my password manager in read-only mode when not adding or changing something!