Opening all databases at start

I’m using V3.0.3: I currently have 5 databases and they are resident in one folder. Up to this version all my databases would open on startup but now only 2 of the 5 open on startup. I can’t find any preferences to control this so any ideas if how I can get things back to the way they were?

Welcome @hedwig47
There are no preferences to control it.

• On startup of what… DEVONthink or the machine?
  • Where is the database folder you’re using located?

Startup of Devonthink on my MacBook Pro on OS V10.15.1
The databases are in one folder within “Documents” so they get backed up to my Cloud account.
Apologies for my lack of clarity.

No worries!

The databases are in one folder within “Documents” so they get backed up to my Cloud account.

I’m not sure what you specifically mean by this but if you are using System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud Drive > Options > Desktop & Documents folders you should NOT have your DEVONthink databases in the Documents folder.

You should quit DEVONthink and move them to the Databases folder in your Home directory. (In fact, I’d suggest that as a generally safe thing to do.)

Also, we strongly advocate proper primary backups using TimeMachine (or similar snapshot-style backup applications) and external drives. Also, you should read the recent series of articles we posted: DEVONtechnologies | Search & Find

Thank you for your advice and guidance I will do as you set out. Your timely response is much appreciated.

You’re very welcome :slight_smile:

I don’t know why DEVONthink 3 doesn’t reopen all your databases (it does over here), but here’s a script you could assign a shortcut to.

-- Open all databases
-- Save the script to "/Users/USER/Library/Application Scripts/com.devon-technologies.think3/Menu/" and add e.g. "___SHIFT + CTRL + A" to the end of the filename

property databaseFolder : "/DEVONthink Datenbanken/"

set allDatabases to paragraphs of (do shell script "cd " & quoted form of databaseFolder & " && ls")

repeat with thisDatabase in allDatabases
	tell application id "DNtp" to open database databaseFolder & thisDatabase
end repeat

Thanks Pete31 for your further input and assistance. Its much appreciated and will be implemented.

…and @hedwig47

While academically a script possible, this would be much more easily done by merely opening the databases desired, then selecting Go > Workspace > Add and creating a workspace for this purpose.

Is there a way to say open without opening databases

Only by closing all databases on quit, e.g. via a smart rule.

Databases that are open upon quiting will reopen on the next launch. You could use File > Close Database > Close All before quitting.

I find this to NOT be true for DT Pro on my MacBook Pro and on my wife’s MacBook Air. I normally like to have three databases open (2 for my research and 1 for synced family documents) and she likes to have just the family documents open. But even after opening the databases we need while DT is running, it is basically random whether the same databases will be open after either a restart of DT or a full restart of macOS.

I am surprised there is not some attribute in the database properties to indicate whether it should be automatically opened upon start of DT.

I know this is an old thread, but it is the first thread that Google found for me on this topic. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

I can’t confirm that: My open databases are always reopened on DT start. Which versions of DT and macOS do you use?

Are you seeing any prompts about the database’s being in use when you launch DEVONthink?

Also, you can easily set up a workspace to open sets of databases and windows. See…

Also, there is a new script available in the Support Assistant (via Scripts menu > More Scripts…): Open Clean Workspace. This should close all open databases and windows, then open only databases associated with a workspace.

Strangely, this has not happened in a while now. I will read about Workspaces anyway.

I am using macOS 12.6.3 and DEVONthink Server Edition 3.8.7.

Glad to hear it and enjoy the blog post! Workspaces can be very useful if you often work with a certain set of databases, tabs, or windows.